Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wife just came home with a 1983 SN 2001

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
joel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wife just came home with a 1983 SN 2001
    Posted: July-18-2005 at 11:30am
I need some help. My wife just came home with a 1983 SN with the 351 pcm motor. The boat looks in great shape the prop has some little dings on it. I will get the size and pitch and order a new one. As for the motor do you guys like dislike the 351? This is my SN we were large boat people. My son is 3 and like to tube. Also can I put an after market boom so I can teach him how to Ski? Any thought would be great.
Joel
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2005 at 11:36am
ANY thoughts?

give up the tubing.

The 351 is very well suited to this application. good luck with it and the ski lessons, Start the lessons on a sandy shore, you may not need the boom til next year.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
joel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2005 at 11:44am
Thanks Thats the way I was taught.

Joel
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2005 at 12:10pm
What a Wife!!!!

351 will run long and strong!
I've use the barefoot int'l boom on my 84 and it works great. (I've had alot of kids get up on ski's this way and beat myself up alot barefooting)
S.T. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S.T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2005 at 1:59pm
When a woman comes home with a Ski Nautique, my first advice would be to marry her. Since you've already got that covered...

The 351 is great. If it hasn't been converted to electronic ignition, do it whenever you start having trouble with the standard ignition.

This place is great: Discount Inboard Marine They are very knowledgable, give free tech support, and carry most of the common parts you'll need at competitive prices.

The stock prop was Federal a 13x13. For greatly improved performance, get an Acme 540 (13x12) or if you like to wakeboard with a lot of ballast, a 542 (13x11.5). This is a pretty good place to order them: Propellers Online
FUN-9C1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUN-9C1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2005 at 11:14pm
I agree you should keep the wife!

I tell you what, I've always been a GM guy, and this 351 is my first Ford motor in my 20 years of motoring, and I LOVE it. It starts instantly hot or cold, and runs like a swiss watch. And it's strong and reliable. I just upgraded to electronic ignition although it was running perfect with the points, but it's one less thing I have to maintain now.

I think you got an awesome boat there (that's why I bought one! :) ) Congratulations and have fun! Tell your wife she rocks!
'86 2001
'50 Century Imperial Sportsman
IrishFooter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2005 at 4:43am
I might also give your local prop shop a call before shelling out 350 for a new prop u might be able to get yours to like new for 75. Skips prop in Pittsburgh (Total Marine Solutions) will do the job and do it well they have been in business for quite a few years. Concerning the engine they are great provided you are knowledgeable enough to work out bugs in carb and ignition when the time comes. A new carb and updated elctronic ignition will eliminate many problems when the old girl starts acting up for you. Good luck and have fun- booms are great teaching tolls and you will be plenty far enough out of chine spray on your boat to teach your son.
1979 Ski Nautique
Joel View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2005 at 2:19am
THanks for all your help. This is a great web site.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic