Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Not Starting

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kilowake66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilowake66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Not Starting
    Posted: July-16-2005 at 3:12am
The problem started about 3 weeks ago I was pulling a rider when the engine started to come down in power and then back up. Kind of like i was throttleing up and down and then it would backfire. The problem would also happen in neutral. Now the engine won't start. I started with fuel: changed fuel filter, inline and seperator filer, I even sprayed starter fluid in carb and still would not start. I then moved to electrical : new spark plugs, wires, distbuter, rotor, ignition coil and ignition resitor. I have changed everything possible. I am not getting 12volts from the coil for some reason. When you ground the spark plugs there is no spark. I also have electronic ignition. Boat has a 351 ford clevland. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2005 at 12:43pm
maybe the electronic ignition module died...but you said not voltage at coil. So, trace the ignition wire backward with a volt meter and find out where you are losing voltage. Go all the way back to the battery (through ignition switch) if you have to.

You have a Cleveland! Where did that come from? What boat?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilowake66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2005 at 3:22pm
The starter is turning over and spinning the engine just the engine itself is not turning over. No Spark. Anyone know what needs to be connected to the ignition coil? Or have a general wiring diagram? the one on references is to faded.
HOLESHOT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOLESHOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2005 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

You have a Cleveland! Where did that come from? What boat?

like he said , what year boat is it
IF IT HAS A SPARKPLUG I CAN FIX IT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilowake66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2005 at 4:51am
I am not sure where it came from but its a 1985 (Correct craft) Ski nautique 2001. The engine is a 351 cleavend. The boat has a petrox electronic ignition.The wiring on the engine is all screwed up. the person who owned it before had the engine all rigged up. Also there is a black box under my dash that has a bunch of wires connected what is the box?Does anyone have picture of there ingnition wiring like ing coil, ing resistor and starter relay. That would help.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2005 at 9:12am
If it is such a motor, better chance its a Clevor hybrid, which is better because it weighs less.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Cre8wake View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cre8wake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2005 at 3:57am
If you are not getting spark then check your Coil. If you have replaced this, then check the Emergency Cut off switch. Also the Starter Solnoid on the Rear of the motor right in front of the exhaust collector. there should be a black plastic cover with a red button comming out of it. Check that.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2005 at 7:04am
I concur on the coil suggestion. Same thing happened to me about a month ago. Boat started up at the ramp and ran fine. Got to my ski hole after swimming for about 20 min then "no sparky" Put her back on the trailer changed the coil and she has been running fine ever since. Got the coil at NAPA auto parts.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Siveck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siveck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2005 at 3:17pm
It's probably not the coil as he has mentioned that he already replaced it. What type of electronic ignition system are you dealing with? Sometimes those do go bad. I had a Mallory electric eye setup that would get fried if it ever had a voltage spike like from a bad regulator or a jumpstart. It had a spaghetti looking mess for wiring with the resistor and all that junk. I now have an HEI style distributor from performancedistributors.com that eliminates all of the headache. It has two, yes only two wires to hook up- one for 12v power and one for the tach. I can't really remember how all of the original wiring was, but I'm guessing that the electronic ignition module has failed in your boat.
1975 Ski Nautique
"Small Letter Boat"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilowake66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2005 at 7:06am
Gave up took it to my machanic friend he is fixing it now!! Thanks to all that tried to help. Boat's, can't live without them and would trade my girlfriend/wife in for a new one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic