NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TBI information: FWIW

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TBI information: FWIW
    Posted: July-15-2005 at 5:15pm
I posted the following over on PN and thought someone here might find it helpful.

Still doing research on the PCM/Holley TBI setup. Here is what I have learned (remember, I am trying to solve my rich running condition).

The system is basically 100% a Holley ProJection 4D(i), 900 CFM progressive system. The ECU gets input from MAP, BARO, TPS, CTS, DTS sensors. The main fuel delivery map is obtained from the MAP sensor, with the backup being the TPS. A rich run condition can be caused by one or more of the MAP, BARO, TPS or CTS sensors failing and by excessive fuel pressure. I also understand, after talking to several people, that the system idles rich period, always has, always will. The idle speed is controlled by the IAC which opens or closes (via a pintle?) a vacuum bypass port. The MAP sensor then adjusts injector pulses to compensate for the gain or loss in manifold pressure. So, the EEPROM needs to be rewritten to provide less fuel at idle for any given manifold pressure (way beyond my scope). It may also have to do with the four huge injectors and the giant throttle plates....

So, to fix my problem I have purchased a new BARO and MAP sensors (identical parts...GM P/N 16137039 or equivalent aftermarket units) and today I am going to purchase a CTS (coolant temperature sensor) from my local CC dealer. I cross referenced the Holley sensor (P/N 534-10) to a Borg Warner sensor at less than half the cost of the PCM unit, but I am a bit nervous to install for one main reason: The Holley CTS sensor, designed for cars, is set to turn the "choke" setting, via the ECU, off when the coolant temperature reaches 180 degress. FWIW, the CTS is just a switch for cold starting (causes extra injector pulses). Now, we all know that our PCM engines like to run at a normal temperature of between 160 and 180 degrees. So, I am afraid that the automotive CTS will stay "on" even after the engine has warmed and thereby cause it to run rich ALL the time (mostly noticable at idle). I am going on the assumption that PCM specified a CTS with a lower temperature set point...or at least I hope they did as this could be part of the chronic rich idle condition for the TBI setup. I plan to test the set point in a pot of boiling water once I have the new sensor. If it triggers at 180 degrees, then maybe a resistor or something else can be done to "fool" the ECU into turning the "choke" off sooner. But, if the ECU is looking for voltage or no voltage, I am not sure what to do.

After I replace the three sensors this evening, I will test. If still running rich, I will test the TPS sensor and adjust or replace as necessary...a faulty TPS can cause the rich run condition. It is interesting that most sensor failures manifest themselves via a rich condition. I guess better rich than lean to protect the engines and give the astute operator an indication that something is wrong.

I will also check fuel pressure to ensure it is not above 15psi at any time. I fear that my return fuel line connection to the tank (no fitting on my '93 tank) is causing a restriction that is thereby increasing fuel pressure. One thing that PCM apparantly specified on the Holley setup is a fuel pressure (Schraeder type) port on the TB unit...very handy and I believe not normally fitted to the automotive versions. The fuel pressure can be adjusted via an allen head screw in the middle of the pressure regulator fitted to the rear of the TB unit.

I know this was wordy, but maybe someone else will find it handy.

BTW, I thought/think the TPS voltage should be 0.63 volts at idle.
Tom View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2005 at 9:24pm
David F posted: <<If still running rich, I will test the TPS sensor and adjust or replace as necessary...a faulty TPS can cause the rich run condition.>>

David,
Holy cow? You're buying all those other sensors and you haven't tested the TPS yet?
The TPS is a variable resistor, a rheostat, a potentiometer, etc...

SORRY, but I don't know the TPS voltage values... Maybe someone with a service manual can chime in here and post the TPS voltage specification?

It's easy to test, and best done with the cheapest analog voltmeter you can find ($6.99 is my record). Though not pretty, my method is to shove a needle through each TPS wire to gain access to an electrical test point for the voltmeter alligator clips and with the "Key On, Engine Off" stroke the throttle from idle to wide open VERY SLOWLY. Watch the analog voltmeter needle to verify nice, smooth stroke from idle to WOT, then stroke it fast and slow, and let it snap closed and stroke it fast again, etc... What you're looking for is smooth operation of the TPS variable voltage output. Any "blind spots" or spiky jumps on the meter will indicate a bad TPS.

Tom
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2005 at 3:05am
TPS is usually .5 to 5 volts. Do a sweep and you will see a gradual; gain in voltage.A really good tool is an old volt meter with the swinging arm.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2005 at 12:50pm
Yes, yes, I know. After replacing the BARO, MAP and CTS yesterday, the rich run condition is mostly gone...maybe just a tad rich. Since the weather looks bad and I probably will not hit the lake for the maiden voyage, I will test the output of the TPS today. With the engine running, the TPS effects the engine when moving it by hand. So it works, just need to verify how well.

I did find the fuel pressure was bit high at about 18-19 psi, so I adjusted down to 15 psi and the engine idled better afterward. I also watched the injectors spray fuel and holy cow they squirt a ton of fuel at idle...good equal pattern on all injectors and no leaking after shut down.

The CTS I purchased from CC was a Delphi unit, so I quess PCM did not specify there own and it probably operates at 180 degrees...to warm in my opinion.

Incidentally, the specs for the TPS are .53 volts at idle with a smooth transition to 4-5 - 5.0 volts at WOT.
S.T. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S.T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2005 at 7:13pm
What size are the threads on the CTS? If it happens to be 3/4" NPT, I wonder if you could use one of these:

www.koboldusa.com

Perhaps you could try one that switches at 140 or 160.
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2005 at 8:02pm
The pro jection unit i have seen in the past is speed density and uses an O2 sensor.Does this one not have the O2 ? I have been trying to find a system for my in laws big block boat for a while but it seems all have O2's as they are designed for cars.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2005 at 7:29pm
No O2 sensor on marine engines....wish there was, it would help compensate for normal wear and tear of the TB unit.

Well, I took the boat out for the first time yesterday and the engine idled poorly and had a terrible mis-fire problem at speed. Idle was unstable and rich. Mis was severe. Other than that, the engine pulled very hard and had incredible power and smoothness upon acceleration.

I need to test the TPS.
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2005 at 9:25pm
I know there is no O2 on boats.What is diffeent from this system or is it just a marine unit ?
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2005 at 2:32pm
Mostly it is the Holley Marine Projection 4D(i) system with, what I believe, a customized control unit (ECU).

So, yes a Marine unit.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2005 at 12:20pm
Tested the TPS and found it works perfectly, but needed to be adjusted to give .53 volts at idle (was set at .43 volts). I also tested the IAC motor and found it to be non-functional. After a lot of testing and fiddling, I got it to work sporadically. Basically the IAC was not closing sufficiently against or near the pintle seat. Consequently, It was basically flowing a ton of unmetered air past the throttle plates and causing the hight idle. I assume the MAP sensor was trying to compensate for the low vacuum reading at idle and causing the rich idle. When I blocked the air bypass port with my finger, the idle dropped to 500 rpms and the fuel delivery cut WAY back.

So, I believe a new IAC (Mopar P/N 53030657) will also fix the steady throttle stumbling as well as the large vacuum leak will be eliminated and the ECU will not be confused by the out of range readings from the MAP sensor.

Just FWIW, I realize very few of the members have TBI engines.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2005 at 2:10pm
That's OK David, some of us carb-guys find it interesting and educational anyway. You should be a shop teacher at a technical school. ...then again, I guess construction management pays better.

I'm looking forward to your final glowing report on that project
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic