Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1984 Nautique .. Multiple Questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Fallin South View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fallin South Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1984 Nautique .. Multiple Questions
    Posted: July-12-2005 at 3:43am
My friend just bought a 84 2001 model. Its the first time that we have really ever been behind a Nautique. We do have some questions to ask and thought this would be a good place to get the answers.

1.There is a "hump" in the center of the wake that we wondered if it was supposed to be there or not. It seems that no matter how weight is distributed its still there, is there a fix for this, or is this a normal characteristic of this models wake?

2. Want to upgrade to EFI, good idea?? Who offers good, reliable, easy to install kits??

3. When the steering wheel is turned most of the time it makes a siren like sound.... wierd!!! Any ideas how to correct that??

4. It has a Lowrance depth sounder, any digital replacements that fit in that hole?? I saw the hummingbird on the home page but it is much to small for this area.

5. Where are some good speaker and cd player mounting locations.

Sorry for all the questions, but we are new to the C.C. family and very excited to be a part of it.. And I guess just one more request. We need advice, things to watch closely, do's and don'ts, anything would be helpful..
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2005 at 7:44am
First of all congrats and welcome to this little band of boat owners. Be rest assured we'll do what we can to help your boat ownership a pleasant one. Now as far as your questions:

1. The "hump" I believe your talking about is the rooster tail right behind the boat. This is normal. It is how the water flows from the natural shape and displacement of the boat moving forward in the water. All boats have it but it is more defined coming off a inboard boat.

2. Not sure on that one. My 88' has the old carburetor on it and it runs just fine. I would recommend upgrade to an EI if it already hasn't been done. I now some guys have messed with it and you can research it a lil more but:     

"If it ain't broke; don't fix it!"

3. The siren sound is normal sometimes when your in a turn at certain speeds. It just does it but I'm not sure why. It may half to do with water forces acting on the boat in certain applications. If your heereing it all the time then it could be that the flax rope in the rudder is bone dry and needs replaced. Maybe the wheel needs a lube job.

4. You'll have to shop around for that one. You could always make a blanking plug for the lowrance DF and redrill the hole for a smaller unit. Use wood, aluminum or carbon fiber as a possible plug.

5. Speaker location all depends on you. I made boxes on both sides of the rear seat. I attached the top to the inner part of the "hand rail" and the bottom to the floor. In the front I managed to find some speakers that fit the "rear window" of a car whose boxes are made of plastic. Lay one in front of the driver seat at your feet and the other on the floor at the base of the observer seat. There was room in the dash for my radio so I put mine next to the wheel. In your application you may have to put it in the glove box or mount it right under the dashboard. You'll have to come up with that one. Maybe some fellow 84 owners can clue you in on that one.

Again congrats on the boat and feel free to ask us anything but look a little in prior posts for the answers. There are ALOT of guys in here that have been there done that and I/we all continue to learn from one another through past experiences both good and bad.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2005 at 1:43pm
Hey! Congratulations on the purchase!!!

I agree with Morfoot on everything but I just wanted to put special emphasis on the carb/EFI thing. Leave the carb. on there unless you plan on running it 600 hrs a season. the EFI will end up just getting gummed up if it is run real sparatically.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2005 at 3:06pm
I concur, and if one assumes it will be marketly more powerful with just adding EFI, I think they will be disappointed. The carb is one of the last things holding the engine back.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic