NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

High Performance Heads / Intake

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
HudsonSpeeder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudsonSpeeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High Performance Heads / Intake
    Posted: July-06-2005 at 10:32pm
I have a 92 SN with a PCM 351 285 HP. Being involved in Autombile Road Racing I was thinking of replacing my stock heads with High Performance ones and also replacing the intake manifold with a High Performance Aluminum. Is this a mod which could give me good results? Can I purchase Heads from a Ford dealer ? Is there a difference between automotive heads / intake and Marine Heads / intake ?

Thanks to all,

Hudson
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2005 at 12:28pm
I am 99% sure the heads and intake manifolds are identical to automotive heads. I am not a speed expert, but I would think better breathing can only help with top end horsepower...may not do much for low end torque.

There are many speed people on this board that will probably chime in and give you good advice, but if you know how to get good results with a car, just remember the boats operating perameter and what you want the boat to do and then try to improve that aspect of the engine (i.e. HP for top end or torque for low end holeshot).
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2005 at 12:45pm
I'm not 100% sure on this but I believe the 285hp 351's are considered HO (high output) models and have GT-40 heads, a slightly different cam, and possibly some other differences.

The heads are the same as automotive heads. 302 heads can be used if the head bolt holes are drilled out. I would encourage you to stick with an iron head however, the combination of aluminum and hot lake water will cause corrosion. There are better heads out there but I doubt you would yield much useful power for the money spent over the GT-40's. A nice intake manifold such as an Edelbrock Performer should help performance some. I wouldn't worry about aluminum on the intake manifold as much since it can be replaced easier if it corrodes away. With intake manifolds make sure you have room to fit any additional height under your motorbox.

In my '79 SN I currently run an Edelbrock Performer intake with the stock D8OE heads ported and cut for bigger valves and they work great. I also have a custom ground Comp Cams cam and a GM style HEI distributor with custom advance curve. My new engine has a lot more hole shot and better acceleration than stock but top speed is still about the same.
HudsonSpeeder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudsonSpeeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2005 at 12:40am
Thanks Guys ! I think I will go for a Head port and polish . Have the valve angels enhanced and replace my intake. This should give me more torque (Hole Shot).

Thanks again for your comments,

Hudson
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2005 at 10:10am
I think that there may be a difference in head gaskets. I thought I remember seeing somewhere that boats use a type of stainless steel gasket. Not sure though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic