NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Front Tow Ring

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front Tow Ring
    Posted: July-06-2005 at 12:41am
I have a 68 natique, that I trailer less than 200 yards to the boat ramp. I attach the trailer to the front tow ring, the ring goes through the hull and is held by two nuts on the inside. The nuts are pulling through the inside of the hull. I loosened the nuts and and got some epoxy in behind the nuts and then put some fender washers on under the nuts; the nuts are still pulling through. Any ideas?
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2005 at 8:11am
You need to install a backing plate on the inside of the hull. Use some thick plywood or other type of hardwood board and shape to conform to the front of the hull. Don't use pine as it is too soft. You need to dispearse the weight distribution over a wider area and not on 2 5/16" holes. You may want even paint the board before you install them to deter rot but that might be a little over kill. A little preventive maintenance can go a long way.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Munday 92SN View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday 92SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2005 at 6:31pm
Morfoot has the repair just right,but i suggest you not hoofront of boat down until your out if water,if the back is still floating your putting to much pressure on your front eye bolt.I saw one ripped all the way out of a very nice 65 mustang this way.I never hook my 92SN and I'm at least a mile from ramp.

Good luck Bob
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2005 at 8:39pm
Thanks for the advice. Is there any problem with the boat slipping from the trailer on the ramp? How about when the carpet is dry and the boat is being launched?
Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2005 at 7:11am
Uhhhh, YES THERE IS I CAN VOUCH FOR THAT!! Been there done that. I once never hooked up the eye on the the front till after I was out and prepped for the return home. Just power assisted the truck till clear and then winched it the rest of the way.UNTIL!!!!

Read on trailer boat website about coating the carpet bunks with silicon spray for an easier launch and retrieval. Figured "Hey what the heck, I gotta power pretty hard to nose her up to the bunk rest so why not." WRONG. It worked TOO WELL. First time out of the water with my slick bunks and the boat slid right off the trailer onto the ramp and the bow caught the trailer and gouged up the gel coat. I bent the rudder shaft, #1 skeg and changed the attitude of the prop. LUCKILY have the boat was still in the water and managed to muscle her back in the water with a little help. Was glad it wasn't a Sat afternoon as it would have been ugly.

Repaired all at the cost of about $150. LESSON LEARNED. I got lucky it could have cost more. The only good thing that came out of this whole experience is that I can launch with the push of a finger ONCE the boat is in the water and I disconnect the wench AND tie rod from the front. She slids right in like a battleship that has just been christened.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2005 at 10:35pm
OK, I just launched the boat, took "the boy" for a ski (he's coming along on his slalom) and then bunked the boat and trailored it out all without hooking the tow ring to the trailer. No problems.
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic