Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rocker arm adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Rob View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rocker arm adjustment
    Posted: July-05-2005 at 2:07pm
Does anyone know what is the correct procedure for adjusting the rocker arms nuts
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2005 at 4:06pm
With the valves closed, spin the pushrod with your fingers as you tighten the nut. When you feel resistance, turn the nut 1/2 turn further.

Can others verify this? I am going by old memory on the 1/2 turn (it could be 1/4 turn).
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2005 at 6:13pm
What kind of engine are you working on? The Ford based engines from the late 70's and up all had non adjustable valvetrain. You just torque the rocker arm bolt down and you take what you get.

If you do have adjustable valvetrain and assuming you have hydraulic lifters David F's method sounds right. Most of the specs I've read specify 0.020"-0.040" of lifter preload which is right around half a turn.
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2005 at 10:19pm
1/2 is about right on a GM motor but if it is old and tired i have used 3/4 turn from time to time.
Rosser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2005 at 10:52am
Check Century Performance web site under tech talk heading.Very good info.
1971 Skier holman&moody 1971 Mustang holman&moody
Siveck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siveck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2005 at 2:20pm
I think that the idea is to have the pushrod centered in the travel of the lifter. I turned mine 3/4 of a turn past looseness on the closed valves. 1/2 is probably fine as well. Make sure that each cylinder is on top dead center as you adjust the valves (on the 351, GM may be different).
1975 Ski Nautique
"Small Letter Boat"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic