Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Epoxy/fiberglass kicked my butt

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Epoxy/fiberglass kicked my butt
    Posted: July-05-2005 at 3:58am
My fiberglass front seat frames are kind of breaking up, so I figured I'd make my first venture into fiberglass repair with them. You know: practice on something you can't mess up.

That stuff kicked my butt!

The frames have 90-degree corners, and the fiberglass mat I was using wouldn't wrap around the corners. It kept popping off the frame, even after I soaked it down plenty with the epoxy. And, yes, I did coat the frame first with the epoxy. So I had to cut the mat with scissors and settle for thin strips that didn't wrap around the corners.

Then, once the epoxy started setting up, the mat tried to cling to my (latex glove-covered) fingers and the roller I was trying to mash it down with.

Then, when I went back for the next coat of epoxy for the next repair, the epoxy was already set up too hard to spread. I lost about half the batch.

Am I missing something here? Is working with fiberglass really that hard? Is this why nobody does it?

Will acetone slow down the setup? Or bring back a batch that's about to get too hard to use?

I noticed the setting-up epoxy got really warm, I assume from the chemical reaction. Would chilling it before mixing give me more working time? I think I had about 20 minutes, and could've used 40.

Should I use less hardener, or will that compromise my final strength?

I started with a more tightly woven mat because it seemed more flexible, but finished with a loosely woven mat. Is there some secret to getting any of it to cling around a corner?

Finally, I DID mix it up very well, so don't tell me to do that more thoroughly. Still, the first patches actually cured more slowly than the latter. Does this stuff react faster when it's in a larger mass? Part of the remainder in my rolling pan actually set up significantly faster than the rest, and the fastest-setting part was the deepest in the pan.

Thomas
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2005 at 7:53am
Thomas,Take it from a guy who works with fiberglass everyday. It is a work of art just like any other "craft" don't expect professional results the first time you use it. Just like woddworking it takes time, patience and experience to master it.

The key to doing corners is to cut your glass in circles making them a little larger each time. Place the center of your circle on the corner and form around it. Once you get the thickness you need I'd suggest taping the corners with a heavy duty PLASTIC tape. WE use a special made tape for fiberglass at DAL but I think that a heavy duty packing tape might work. Just make sure that the strips of tape are narrow so that they can form around the corner well. Make sure they are long enough to secure your repair and then some. I don't know if the tape will withstand the heat from the resin curing but hey, its worth a try. Could even try saran wrap but not sure it that would work either. It might stick to your repair but then again???? The KEY to this is COMPRESSION!!!! the more compressed your layers of glass are, the stronger the repair will be.

As far as your resin goes....That is the nature of the beast. A larger mass will cure faster than a small thinned out portion because the heatgenerated by the curing process. It does start a chemical chain reaction.
More volume of resin = more heat = quicker set up time.
The way do slow the beast is to mix smaller amounts of resin OR use a drop or two LESS of catalyst. {If it calls for 10 drops on a 80'F day then use 7 or 8.} It will buy you a little time. Acetone will thin the resin so that the cloth will soak up the resin a little better. It may buy you some time but not real sure on that one. I work with non-epoxy based resins so don't know for sure.

Another key to epoxy resin repair is to have all your layers of glass PRE-CUT!!! Have the ENTIRE repair in front of you in the order in which they go so that the next layer of glass is already precut to fit. You don't want to play " Cut as you go". This will buy you all kinds of time. I'd rather the resin wait on me then vice versa cause the resin will win eventually.

One final tip is that you can make sure of complete glass penetration is to heat up the repair with a hair dryer or heat gun if you have one. This will cause the resin to become less viscous and "flow" into the cloth. This is where compression fits in. You want to ELIMINATE the possibility of air pockets. These will weaken your repair. The draw back to this of course is heat and heat is....

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anymore help be glad too. This goes for anyone else too...

Morfoot

" If it doesn't fit, then get a bigger hammer!!!"
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2005 at 2:15pm
Thanks for the input Morfoot, but I'm a little too thick to get some of it. For instance, one of my problems was inside corners, where the fiberglass kept trying to spring back into its flat shape, so it popped out of the corner. How can you tape a long inside corner to fit, like, say, along the edge of the seat where it's turned up about one inch along a twenty-inch side?

And I don't get how cutting the glass into circles helps it conform to a corner. Wouldn't it still want to flatten?

And, I didn't have trouble getting the mat to soak up the resin, but the whole mess would not stay compressed after I rolled over it. The roller—or my fingers when I used them—would lift the glass, or it would spring back on its own. How do you flatten it and keep it that way?

And I did cut all my fiberglass before I mixed the resin. But, since I couldn't get it to fit in the corners, I had to resort to cut-as-you-go.

Also, I was using a small 2-inch long, 1-inch round roller to spread the resin. Every time I mix a batch I have to throw away the roller. Eight of them cost about $13, which is a rip-off, but I thought they'd last through the whole repair. There must be a better way to spread the resin?

Finally, even though it looks terribly amateurish, the part I did get repaired yesterday looks and feels like it's holding fine today and is giving the seat the strength it needed.

Thomas
S.T. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S.T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2005 at 2:55pm
tleed,

I'm no expert but here are a couple of tips that might help:

1. For inside corners, make sure you "fillet" them. That means, you apply thickened resin (structural filler) into the corner to make it smooth and rounded. You'll never get the cloth to lay in a sharp 90-degree bend. Even if you did, it would not be strong.

2. I always spread resin with a spreader, i.e. a flat plastic spatula-looking thing. It's easy to squeeze the resin into the cloth this way.

3. Circles are better than squares for corners because the corners of the squares would be harder to lay down. (haha)

4. The West System stuff that I've used has several different types of hardeners for different cure rates. Use the slowest one if you are running out of time. Chilling the materials beforehand will also slow the cure. I wouldn't mess with resin/hardener ratios if I were you.

5. I happen to know that Saran Wrap (well...the local generic brand) does NOT stick to cured resin (you should test your own). So, I can imagine several ways to apply pressure to your repairs: For inside corners, you might try a bag of sand. For outside edges, how about compressing a big block of foam (covered with saran wrap) over the corner with tape; or maybe sand would work for this as well?

6. I noticed you said, "mat." For edges and corners, the cloth is much more flexible and "moldable" than mat.

7. West System has a lot of good info on their website and in their inexpensive publications:
http://www.westsystem.com/webpages/userinfo/manual/index.htm
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2005 at 3:32pm
ST and Morfoot gave good advice, except for one thing that Morfoot said: When using epoxy resin, you MUST mix at the precisely the given ratio for the system being used. You CANNOT change the cure rate by reducing or adding hardner.

I believe Morfoot works predominately with Polyester resin in which you can change the cure rate by varying the amount of catalyst. NOT TRUE with epoxies.

BTW: I use the very cheap and disposible paint brushes when working with epoxy resin. Wood handle utility brushes cost about $1.25 for a 2" brush.

Axial roving is the only material that will conform to a 90 degree bend. However, given its nature, it does not have much strenght along the bend, so it kind of defeats the purpose. The fillet is the way to go.

And finally, what are you using to roll out the air and compress the composite? A paint roller does not work...you must use a hard grooved roller. If you are using this, then you are applying too much pressure. You do NOT want to force all the resin out of the fiberglass when you compress...just enough to get the air out. It just takes light to medium pressure.
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2005 at 8:07pm
David, I have no idea what "axial roving" and "fillet" mean. My fiberglass repair materials say "mat" and "cloth" on them.

Does axial roving=cloth and fillet=mat?

Thomas
S.T. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S.T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2005 at 11:32pm
tleed,

Check that link I posted. It explains fillets quite well.

I'm not sure what David means by "axial roving" but perhaps it is a type of fiberglass cloth where almost all the fibers go in one direction? If so, this would be used where you need strength along only one axis and you don't want all the extra weight and bulk of fibers that are oriented in different directions. I know that bi-axial cloth is the typical cloth you see (with fibers at 90 degrees) and they also make tri-axial cloth with fibers at 60 degrees from one another.
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2005 at 4:32am
I have found that dipping your gloves and roller in acetone while working will help keep the fiberglass from sticking to you.
Bob Ed
83 2001
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2005 at 9:59am
There are two basic types of fiberglass cloth. PLAIN and SATIN.

PLAIN weave has an equal # of identical yarns per square inch in both N-S and E-W direction. Think of checker board or a basic hand made basket. It is a simple under over weave. It is equally strong in both directions. Therefore it is GREAT for flat applications.

SATIN weave will have a different # of yarns per square inch running either N-S or E-W. They WILL NOT have equal strength in both directions. HOWEVER.... because of the yarn count it will be more drapable and it is used in areas of complex curves. The layout of the cloth is under one over 4 and vice versa.

I agree with david and use a cheap paint brush to apply your resin to the cloth. A plastic squeegee works well for spreading out the resin too. You know, like the one used to spread out bondo on that Pinto your restoring!
Also after your final layer of glass. place some Saran wrap ( thanks S.T.)over your repair and squeegee over the repair this will help impregnant your cloth with resin and even smooth it out.

Circles by their nature are equally strong around the entire surface and form around curves better than any square. Just because of their makeup the chance of waves and ripples forming is highly reduced. There aren't any corners that will pull up either and the stress is displaced around the entire repair. Have you seen a square modern day airplane flying around lately?

Start your repair small and work your way up. You want to feather it out. Also add an extra ply or two to allow for sanding.You'll probably take off a ply or two to get it smooth so you won't be takeing away any strength to your repair.

David is correct in stating " When using epoxy resin, you MUST mix at the precisely the given ratio for the system being used. You CANNOT change the cure rate by reducing or adding hardner." You can only chage the cure time with polyester based resin. Double Check to see which one you are using. If you mix the crap out of it you will kick it off sooner than if you just make sure you "just mix it" your not making brownies here.

ST also made a great suggestion by using sand to weigh down your part/repair. A lead shot bag( local dive shop should have them) works great too. It will form the natural layout of the part and form the repair better.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2005 at 12:55pm
Here are some terms I use:

woven roving = the cloth you see everywhere.

mat = random fibers held together in a mat with a binder. Epoxy resins do not disolve the binder (only polyester).

epoxy mat = same as above, but fibers are held in place with stitching, not a binder.

axial roving = all fibers run in one direction and are held together with stitching.

There are many others...check out www.uscompsites.com for all the different types of mat and roving. There are also many different weights of each.

In the heat of the summer and being a beginner, you are best served by purchasing a slow cure or long pot life epoxy. No that we are having 100 degree days here in Austin, even the medium pot life epoxy gives me trouble. I generally only mix batches of 4 oz. at a time to avoid wasting epoxy due to gelling in the cup. Buy 9 oz. waxed paper cups and use popcicle sticks for mixing.
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2005 at 2:06pm
Armed with my experience of the night before, and all the new wisdom you guys have provided, I went at it again last night, with much better results. I mixed less and used more, and also used a plastic spreader, which worked much better. I used smaller pieces of fiberglass, too.

I chilled the epoxy in the fridge before I started, too. Didn't have a problem with it getting too hard, too soon.

So, I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Thomas
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2005 at 5:07pm
AH HA!!!! See I told you, Experience and wisdom goes a long way. Its not as hard as it seems with practice you too will learn the ways of fiberglass repair my young Padawan!!
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2005 at 3:59am
I think I'm getting the hang of this.

Things I've learned:

1. Cut out several layers of fiberglass before you mix the resin. You can lay up several layers at once, and there's no good reason to wait for one layer to harden before you slap on another.

2. It's easier to work with smaller or narrower strips.

3. You can get a little more mileage out of the resin if you heat it with a heat gun at the end of its pot life. With just the right amount of heat it will run again and spread/soak through a layer or two.

4. The woven cloth is far easier to work with than anything else when it comes to bending around a 90-degree curve, or doing a compound curve. Nothing else comes close to equal workability.

5. If you put the clear part (resin) in the fridge before you start you can get a little more mileage out of the mixture before it hardens.

6. Plastic spreaders are great, even if they were previously used on Pinto's. (Or Vega's, which is what I actually had.)

7. Slather some resin all over everything, then put a whole layer of cloth on, push it down with your fingers, then slather on some more resin. If you use a heat gun toward the end, you can work out lots of air bubbles and push down lots of loose edges easy enough you don't have to get it all perfect when you do the initial layering.

8. An air cutoff tool & wheel are great tools to use to cut & shape. You don't have to get edges perfect—you can just cut off overlapped material after it hardens.

Anybody else want to add some more bits of wisdom, or add to/dispute the above?

Thomas
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2005 at 2:58pm
Sure:

Pre-wet the pieces of cloth/mat before slapping them into place, makes the in-place wetout, much esier. I pre-wet on waxed paper.

A utility knife works great to trim excess, if you do it in the curing stage before the composite fully hardens.

Cloth and mat should be used for best ultimate strength.

Cheap/disposible paint brushes work best for applying resin in most situations (other than large flat horizontal areas).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic