NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grinding transmission

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
barr 68 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barr 68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grinding transmission
    Posted: July-05-2005 at 12:22am
I drained the trans fluid out of my as1-70 (1968 Barracuda/ 318 chrysler) velvet drive and cleaned the screen . I replaced the screen and plug, refilled the trans with 1.7 quarts of dexron III/mertron as per the latest info on the tranny(the trans fill cover says use type "A", I don't think this type is available any more). I started the engine on the trailer/fake lake and attemped to put the transmisssion in gear just to curculate and check the operation of the trans .Rather than slipping smoothly into gear(like it did before I changed the fluid) , The trans made loud metal to metal screeching sound and refused to go into gear .What gives? Did my trans just decide to give up the ghost, or is the trans fluid not right? Heeeeeellllpppp! Jim B./ Barr 68
barr68
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2005 at 11:57am
I'm not sure what to make of the metal to metal noise, but I NEVER put my boat in gear when it's on the trailer. Even though the engine gets plenty of cooling with the water hose, your prop shaft support bearing does not. If the bearing runs dry it gets trashed immediately, it uses water for lubrication. I saw one guy run his boat on the trailer so long it discolored his shaft around the bearing area. Some folks may have a few tricks around this but I'm not taking any chances with my boat. If it need to be put in gear it gets launched in the lake. I'm only 2 minutes away from the water so it's quicker for me to launch. If it ran dry for any amount of time then you better check your bearing for starters.
Barr68 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barr68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2005 at 12:04pm
I agree that its not smart to run the boat in gear for any amount of time while on the trailer. I talked to a velvet drive tech this morning any he says something is most likely jammed in the pump.I guess I'll have to pull the trans and see. Thanks ,Jim
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2005 at 1:33pm
That shaft strut bushing is rubber and if you turn your shaft dry it will make a horrible noise. Could that be what you heard? You might want to try it in the water before you take your transmission apart.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2005 at 1:35pm
That's a bummer. If you have to pull your transmission for the pump then you should throw in a Overhaul Kit just based on the transmission's age. Check the resource area here, maybe you can print out the manual yourself and tackle the overhaul if your mechanically inclined. Good luck    
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2005 at 3:06pm
I agree with TJ. IF the pump is grinding, then surely it has sent metal shaving throughout the system. You must get all that metal out of the tranny, or will be doing it again soon.

I also agree with Jameski...make sure the noise and vibration is not transferring up the shaft from the cutlass bearing. Water on the bearing from a garden hose will work in a pinch for VERY short periods of in gear operation on the trailer.

BTW: I do not think that the wrong oil would immediately cause a failure as you describe, especially a light weight oil like Dexron III.
Barr 68 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barr 68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2005 at 3:26pm
Thanks for the input all. Unfortunatly,the shaft bushing is not the culprit( I utilize the garden hose technique that David described ),and, new fluid is not the problem either . I'll pull the trans tonight and begin disassembly.The general concensus is something has either fallen into or broken off in the trans and locked it up.Stay tuned .Thanks again,Jim
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2005 at 3:36pm
So, chalk it up to coincidence. Bad luck, but good luck on the repairs. At least it happened in your driveway and not out on the water.
Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2005 at 4:22am
I would most certainly put it in the water before pulling everything apart. You don't even have to get off the trailer, just put it in gear while on the ramp. You could be borrowing trouble.
Bob Ed
83 2001
Barr 68 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barr 68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2005 at 12:01pm
I disassembled the trans and found that one of the sealing rings on the main shaft where the clutch piston moves back and forth to actuate forward gear had self destucted causeing the clutch plates to slip off the forward clutch hub. Luckily nothing was seriously damaged. Total cost for parts to repair/reassemble is $48.00. I will reassemble friday and post the results. Thanks ,Jim B.
Barr68 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barr68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2005 at 9:19am
Good News, The trans is alive and well after the rebuild. If you have never rebuilt one ,have no fear ,they are not difficult .Thanks all for your help.Jim B.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2005 at 11:10am
Good Job! Glad to hear your back on the water!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic