Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dropped nut down exhaust

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dropped nut down exhaust
    Posted: July-04-2005 at 11:58am
Is there a muffler on my boat ('69 Barracuda/318)?

I dropped a nut down the rubber exhaust tube. I'm going to try fishing it out with a magnet on a string, but if that doesn't work (heaven forbid it rolled!) I'm considering flushing it out the back with a bucket of water.

Seems like that could be a problem if the exhaust is something other than a straight tube. It's on the driver's side.

I've got the new tranny back on and am just waiting for the stringers to finish drying out to put it all back together.

Thomas
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2005 at 3:54pm
Don't worry about it, just leave it there and replace the nut. A bucket of water will probably not work, but starting the engine will mostly likely get it out due to the turbulence created being sufficient to cause the nut to jump one of the baffles in the muffler. The nut will not do any damage or clogged the exhaust even if it stays put.

Oh, I assumed there is a muffler on your boat, if not, a bucket might work.
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2005 at 8:09pm
Is there a muffler on this boat?

Thomas
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2005 at 4:03am
No ideas on the muffler?

And I still want to get that nut. I powdercoated it white and it matches the rest of them. I'd have to go powdercoat another one.

If there's no muffler, a few buckets of water down the tubes might do the trick. Or a garden hose up from the bottom. The magnet on a coathanger from above hasn't worked yet.

Thomas
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2005 at 9:00am
Thomas,
If you shine a spotlight up the exhaust pipe (from the transom) you should be able to tell if you have straight pipes or mufflers. If you have mufflers like the ones on my '78, then your nut will probably stay in there (caught by one of the three baffles). Try shining your spotlight down the hose from the manifold end to see if you can see the nut. The magnet is probably your best bet unless you want to remove your floor board and your muffler. I agree that you could just leave the nut and it won't cause any problems.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic