NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BI contoured boom

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BI contoured boom
    Posted: November-08-2010 at 12:00am
Wanted used contoured BI barefoot boom...complete with pylon clamp
any lead will be appreciated
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 7:18am
Single or double countoured?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 11:04am
oops thats a good question!! lets see double contour is the s shape first section and the fitting is offset..I mean depending on how you mount it it will go forward or bacwards.thus in case af a mc it can clear a the WS wing?
I need it for my nautique where the window wing is way forward of the pylon..so I guess any style will do..I only need the s shaped sectio in order to be able to use both the boom and skylon at the same time...
had to return the borrowed one I was using..thus i'm boomless
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 12:03pm
Make sure you've got plenty of clearance between the doghouse and the pylon for the clamp. I had to trade my contour in for a straight because of that.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 12:53pm
Kap, didnt we cover this back in January?

No need to go with the contour... you can use both the straight boom and extended pylon at the same time if you get a height adjuster. This also gives you some flexibility to change the height of the boom without moving the clamp. While its a little tight having the clamp mounted low on the pylon, there is still plenty of clearance to the motorbox on all of our boats ('79, '90, '03).

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 1:14pm
yeah I know..but the countour will do without the need of buying an extra accesory..
I regret for not buying that one in that moment..it was a real oportunity!! that I could have solved with the adjuster!! damn..

it seems I can get another one borrowed from another friend..but I´d rather start looking for one to buy so I don´t depend on others..
Now I guess I will open the field and look for any boom straigh or contoured..But it has to be BI in order to be able to use the boom extension I bought for it in my last trip to the US....
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 6:56pm
Seb, could you not have a machinist build you one cheaper than ordering one in? BI use to sell the individual parts, but not sure if they still do. Plus if you have it built, you don't have to worry about it disappearing at customs.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 7:06pm
yeah it could be done but liability comes into play here..I could save a couple of hundreds in cost..but here my life is in play..and in case of failure I´d feel more confident in BI responding to a lawsuit claim..that a local machinist!!!
If it was the clamp I would do it..but the whole rig no way...and some parts as the ss pins that hold the section would be hard to duplicate...

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 7:32pm
looks like I´m getting another one borrowed that belonged to a buddy that sold his SN and kept the boom...anyway I still will be looking to purchase..so keep your eyes open for me...

At least boomless will force me to practice more my long line skills..
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 7:38pm
kap, it's not that big of a deal. They really are not that hard to duplicate. Many boom MFGs have come and gone, they all copy each other to some extent. Use the right materials with secure connections and you're good to go.

Look at the nylon straps and plastic adjusters on this ECI boom.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 7:50pm
I´ll do some search and see what kind of materials I can get locally..
What the re original Bi using for alloy?
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2010 at 8:18pm
I would guess 6061 T6 or 6011 if it is hollow.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic