Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering wheel removal - how to

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Salty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering wheel removal - how to
    Posted: November-07-2010 at 5:51pm
Hey guys,

I need to get into the steering wheel as it is pretty loose but I don't want to damage it.   Can someone advise me on how to get the center hub out so I can tighten things out?

I have put a flat head screw driver in there and gently tried to pop it out but it doesn't budge and I dont want to break it.

Thanks.

Dave
Salty

2018 GS22 with Z4
2008 Ski Nautique 206 w/Factory Tower, EX343 SOLD
1978 Southwind 18 w/GM305, upgraded 4 barrel intake & carb, all original - vinyl & carpet, etc.

[URL=http://s328.photobucket.com
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2010 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Salty Salty wrote:

Hey guys,

I need to get into the steering wheel as it is pretty loose but I don't want to damage it.   Can someone advise me on how to get the center hub out so I can tighten things out?

I have put a flat head screw driver in there and gently tried to pop it out but it doesn't budge and I dont want to break it.

Thanks.

Dave

Dave,
search and behold!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Salty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2010 at 7:22pm
Thanks Pete - worked like a charm!

One other questions - any suggestions on the best way to bring back my chrome finish while I have the wheel off?

Is it ok to use the green side of my wifes yellow kitchen sponge with Bar Keepers friend (works great on pots and pans).

My chome is pitted some and lost its luster.
Salty

2018 GS22 with Z4
2008 Ski Nautique 206 w/Factory Tower, EX343 SOLD
1978 Southwind 18 w/GM305, upgraded 4 barrel intake & carb, all original - vinyl & carpet, etc.

[URL=http://s328.photobucket.com
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2010 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Salty Salty wrote:

Thanks Pete - worked like a charm!

One other questions - any suggestions on the best way to bring back my chrome finish while I have the wheel off?

Is it ok to use the green side of my wifes yellow kitchen sponge with Bar Keepers friend (works great on pots and pans).

My chome is pitted some and lost its luster.

Dave,
It will bring back the luster but only for a very short time. The chrome it a cheap job and pitting is telling you it's down to the base steel. If it hasn't started rusting yet, it will soon. Abrading the chrome will just hurry up the process. The only way to properly fix it is a re chrome. Is your wheel the hard rubber or the wood grain?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2012 at 2:41pm
1st of all I searched and have found nothing on it.

On my 1968 Mustang, i have removed the steering wheel, but I'm stuck after that. The steering assembly underneath the dash i can't pull out through the housing that's on the front of the dash, because of the Key pin that holds the steering wheel in place and keeps it from slipping. Does this key pin remove easily or do i need to heat it up to get it out? I've taken pliers to it, but i don't want to damage it anymore.

Any ideas? I can take pictures tonight.
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2012 at 2:45pm
I cant follow what youre saying based on your description. Post some pictures, they will serve as a translation. If theres anything not stock about it, that changes things. Its not hard to get the whole steering system apart.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2012 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I cant follow what youre saying based on your description. Post some pictures, they will serve as a translation. If theres anything not stock about it, that changes things. Its not hard to get the whole steering system apart.

Thanks TR, I'll get some up tomorrow.
1970 Mustang
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2012 at 4:07pm
pop the woodruff key out of there, it might be stuck pretty good but its nothing you can replace.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2012 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

pop the woodruff key out of there, it might be stuck pretty good but its nothing you can replace.

That's what it's called, i couldn't remember the name, You think a torch would help? or just keep prying at it?
1970 Mustang
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2012 at 5:37pm
Sometimes you can use a punch or a sharp chisl to "catch" the edge and tap it up and out.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2012 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Sometimes you can use a punch or a sharp chisl to "catch" the edge and tap it up and out.

I'll try that too, it's corroded in pretty well, i think 45years of being in the same spot does that haha.
1970 Mustang
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2012 at 5:51pm
We had to hammer and punch it out of the 80. You guys and your torches...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2012 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

You guys and your torches...

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2012 at 10:32pm
Fire good

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2012 at 12:23am
Fire only good for cow.
Fire bad for nibral and stainless.

Hammer good.
robdubbleu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robdubbleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2020 at 4:35pm
Trying to find a replacement steering wheel woodruff key for my Ski Nautique on McMaster's site. Is anybody able to point me towards the correct one I should be ordering?

Thanks!
1976 Ski Nautique (PCM 351) - Currently under major renovation: floor, carpet, interior, gel coat, engine overhaul - ALMOST DONE!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2020 at 4:55pm
Rob,
First I'd suggest just going to a good hardware store for one key. If you don't have to actual key to compair, you'll need to measure the keyway in the helm shaft. Here's the dimmentions for standard Woodruff keys and ways:

Sorry about the small size of the chart. If you can't see it, google Woodruff key dimentions and lots will come up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robdubbleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2020 at 10:26pm
Thanks Pete! I'll do that. Sadly I don't have the original...

1976 Ski Nautique (PCM 351) - Currently under major renovation: floor, carpet, interior, gel coat, engine overhaul - ALMOST DONE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robdubbleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2020 at 11:51pm
Update to my steering wheel key needs: After some semi-scientific measuring, I decided to take a chance on some from McMaster and they fit perfectly. 

For anyone needing one, here you go 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic