NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Raw Water pump Rebuild kit????

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raw Water pump Rebuild kit????
    Posted: July-03-2005 at 7:49pm
My raw water pump started leaking today. I took it off and noticed that everything inside it looks like crap. All of the seals etc were chewed up and little rocks were in it. What do you guys think is the best thing to do for it and are there any rebuild kits etc.?

It is for a 80 ski nautique, and I think the pump is a sherwood.
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2005 at 12:39pm
Don't waste your time. Get a new one from Skidim.com
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2005 at 12:50pm
Ouch that is $210. There has got to be a better way.
S.T. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S.T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2005 at 5:46pm
If you have a G-20 pump, it looks like you are out of luck. Buy the new one. If you have the G-21 pump (which is a replacement for the G-20), they sell a major repair kit (PN: 12665) but it costs about $100.

http://www.go2marine.com/g2m?action=GoBPage&id=73700F

If you have rocks and stuff in yours, maybe you're better off just paying the extra $100, getting the new pump with it's new shaft and everything, and saving yourself some trouble. I also don't know how to tell the difference between a G-20 and G-21. The little metal tag on my pump is broken off and I can't tell from the markings on the housing.
88skisupreme View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2005 at 2:19pm
I have a spare raw water pump that is in perfect working order, if you're interested.
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2005 at 10:40pm
Thanks guys,

I am just going to order one from skidim.com. I noticed that the shaft of the pulley was pretty hammered from the rocks. 88 Thanks for the offer, but I need it by friday and hopefully skidim will 2nd day it or something like that.
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2005 at 4:34am
This is kinda funny. On SkiDIM there is a pump for $206. There is also the same one in chrome for $175. I ordered the chrome one because it is cheaper. I hope this was a good idea. Now my crappy looking engine will be sporting a glitzy R/W pump. I might have to take a picture just to show how retarded it will look, but why not for $31 less.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2005 at 1:14pm
If you sucked up rocks, you are obviously operating in shallow water or beaching the boat. In this case, you would benefit greatly by adding a strainer. I think this site did a feature on adding a strainer.
Siveck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siveck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2005 at 2:13pm
I just rebuilt the Sherwood pump for my boat and I don't reccomend it at all especially if you have a short fuse like I do. I have the F75 pump which is obsolete. This is the style that mounts to the oil pan. My bearing went bad and destroyed the internal parts. I found a major rebuild kit that included a new shaft, bearings, and a seal. It cost $140 and took 3 weeks to arrive. There were about $10 worth of parts in the bag. I spent many hours pressing bearings and the shaft in my vise. I have it all back together, but am having to file the end of the shaft for the pulley to fit as it is "mushroomed" from all of the hammering. Next time, I will upgrade to a newer style pump and save myself the trouble.
1975 Ski Nautique
"Small Letter Boat"
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2005 at 3:28pm
Siveck is right, housings, wear plates, impellers replace. Anything past that buy a new pump. I do this for a living that $100.00 extra will save you hours of rebulding a housing that may be junk. Be happy they sell a bolt-on replacement.
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Tom View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2005 at 12:09pm
For anyone wanting straight up, professional, knowledgeable service on raw water pumps, contact Depco Pump in Clearwater, Florida...

http://www.depcopump.com/contact.htm

Ask for the marine department when you call and have your pump model number, your boat/motor model & year, or some definite identifying information ready when you contact them.

They have actually recast the housings for many obsolete marine pumps and deal with large and small boats from the 1920's thru current so our ski boat stuff is a cakewalk for them. Their complete rebuild service is $30 per hour plus parts and they have been getting all our shop's business for three years. NEVER have we stumped them, and the service is excellent.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2005 at 7:30pm
88ski,
do you still have the water pump? email me at scharf5@sbcglobal.net.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic