Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stiff shifting problem??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
j_blankenship View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j_blankenship Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiff shifting problem??
    Posted: October-31-2010 at 8:00pm
Does anyone know how to cure stiff shifting when cold? My 99 Sport will shift fine after warm-up, but when cold it is almost impossible for my wife to get it off the trailer.
It's not the cable, as it moves fine when disconnected from the drive regardless of temp. It seems like the selector shaft or sleeve in the housing may be galled and until it warms up it's metal on metal. Can the shaft be pulled to polish without removing the drive unit from the boat?

Appreciate any advice here guys, I'm hoping to get another 2-3 weekends in before the wetsuits can no longer do the job.

Thanks,
John Blankenship
'99 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2010 at 9:19pm
John,
Pull the shift selector shaft. There's a chance that the oil ring is screwed up as well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2010 at 10:11am
the aluminum bore will gall up on the pcm's, I hone them and clean thouroughly, you have to watch when you pull the pcm valve, there is a small regulator "hat" a spring ans some shims...but it is an easy repair
"the things you own will start to own you"
Nordicron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nordicron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2020 at 12:50pm
Hopefully someone can help me out here.  Done lots of searching and didn’t want to create a new post.  Anyway have a 08 SAN 210 and it is very stiff to shift into forward or reverse until throttle lever is exercised a few times.  Once this is done and engine is hot it’s close to normal until cools back down in a day or 2.  Anyway it is not the cable as I can disconnect at shift arm on tranny very easy, then move throttle like butter. 
My question, Eric says it’s the selector shaft, how in the world can I pull this out?  It’s definitely not obvious looking at it.  I have pretty good mechanical sense but scratching my head here.    Thanks
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2020 at 2:53pm
Here's a little light reading on PCM transmissions

Page 18 has some direction for you Wink

link
Nordicron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nordicron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2020 at 11:27pm
Huge thanks Keno!  I'll dig into this soon and post a pic or 2 and hopefully good results.
Nordicron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nordicron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 8:00pm
about as far as you can get back in because spring pushing against clamp only used to hold valve inplace against spring pressure while snap ring put inProblem fixed!  Smooth easy shifting again!  Here is a couple pics of the job, sorry im not real good at taking pics all the time to post back up but this definitely gives some reference for anybody having this issue.  The shifting valve if thats what its called wasnt exactly dirty but there is such a tight tolorence that the crud over time causes it to start to bind over time.  I removed the valve body and cleaned it up and also cleaned the inner tube best i could.  Upon reassembly(take note the orientation it comes out) the valve slid back in very easily so easy infact that the inner spring tension is pretty dang stiff which makes it a bear to get the snapring back in place, hence the last pic with the clamp holding the valve against the spring pressure which allows for you to put snap ring back on.  Sorry I didnt get a close up pic of the the snap ring in place but its easy to see once the lever is removed.  
snapring removed shaft stays inplace due to binding up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic