NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

86 ski nautique stress cracks..

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
98motorsport3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98motorsport3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 86 ski nautique stress cracks..
    Posted: September-04-2010 at 11:26am
THIS is a different boat than the last one I posted about. So are stress cracks an instant doom. The boat I've got a deposit on has some just before where the boat starts to curve up to the front of the bow. They are below the water line.. I guess about the area of the front seats. HOWEVER, the boat still has the original floor in it w/NO soft spots. Even the wood around the pylon is dry and not rotted. No signs of floor separation. Very solid boat. I've read on other sites that sometimes gel coat is just hard and brittle and boats get stress cracks sometimes. However it seems that on here its impending doom. I could understand if the floor had been redone and they were there but this is still a solid original floor still original carpet and solid as a rock. The boat is navy blue hull with a white stripe. They are on both sides.. same spot. Boat was garage kept.. all signs point to this just being cosmetic. Even the local dealer it was serviced at said the same thing. Any ideas?
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 12:22pm
First off a solid floor has nothing to do with stringer condition. There are three boards in the floor the rest is glass over foam. My floor was solid with original carpet. But what I found underneath was a whole other story.

The stress cracks are normal on these boats my boat has them but they are caused from something. IMHO they are caused from the hull flexing.
What I found on my '85 was the glass that connected the floor to the wall had separated. The glass runs from the floor up the wall about 6-8" only the top inch or two was actually still bonded well.
I think it all comes down to price. Any 2001 hull is going to need a stringer job eventually due to the foam holding the water with no way for it to drain or dry. All these hulls are going to have the same problems due to the design some are going to be worst than others
So it all comes down to price and if you are going to keep it for a while or is it a starter boat with an upgrade in the future.
If the price is right and the rest of the boat is in good condition go for it. Just remember the problem of rot and wet foam is and always will be there until it is removed and replaced.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98motorsport3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 1:32pm
Gotcha... As long as I can get a few more seasons... pref 4 or 5 out of her I'll be ready to do the stringers/floors.... Until then I'll just do my best to keep her in as good a shape as possible. Any tips on prolonging the use of her and trying to stop any more rot than usual?
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2010 at 9:45pm
There's really not much you can do except maybe keep the bilge as clean and dry as you can.

A good indicator on how soaked the foam is the way it sits in the water. If it is in almost to the platform it's probably pretty wet inside.
Take a flashlight and look under the rear removable floor panel, as far back under the tank as you can see. Look for cracks/de-lamination of the glass covering the stringers especially around the cross brace/support. Also look where the exhaust tubes run, there's a block right where they turn up the the manifolds that's where mine was bad.
If the cracks are bleeding a black stain that's bad rot in the wood.

By the way how much are they asking I paid $3,800 for mine with no trailer. I figured for that money I didn't feel bad dropping another $1,100 on stringer materials.
Hope this helps good luck.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98motorsport3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 10:14am
I'm paying a good chunk of change for mine. 9400. 500 hours, titan tower, titan racks, titan alpha 2 tower speakers, memphis audio speakers in the boat, jvc head unit, perfect pass pro, depth finder, bimini top, neons, very nice trailer w/led tails, 542 prop, original prop, electronic ignition. The tower, racks, speakers, and perfect pass alone are almost 4 grand. Tower mount mirror, dual batteries w/perko switch. High output alternator and the guy is local and is known by some mutual friends. Two of my friends have bought boats from him and were happy. I'm ok with paying that amount for all the stuff it has considering what we will be using it for. I don't mind having to redo the floors/stringers as long as it can hold off a few years which I think it will. Are there better deals out there.. sure probably so, but I don't feel like having to start from scratch or driving more than out of state to get it. So for me it works.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 11:44am
post some pic of the cracks...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98motorsport3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 1:47pm
I don't have any pictures of them. The best way I can describe them is about 12-18" long, gelcoat only, kinda on top of each other and 1 or 2 that go vertical about 4 or so inches. They are very fine cracks and are only in that one spot on both sides. No other ones on the boat or under it. I don't have any pictures b/c I haven't gone to pick up the boat yet... We lake tested and stuff and I put a deposit on it. I was gonna grind them out and fill them then have the sides of the boat done in vinyl graphics
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98motorsport3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 1:54pm
They look identical to these which were taken from a thread here on correct craft fan. Here is link to the thread.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5286&PID=46310&title=stress-cracks

skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 3:19pm
[QUOTE=gun-driver] There's really not much you can do except maybe keep the bilge as clean and dry as you can.

A good indicator on how soaked the foam is the way it sits in the water. If it is in almost to the platform it's probably pretty wet inside.
QUOTE]

great indicator... My boat platform sits a clear 2 inches from the water. I would have to agree this is a great way to tell.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98motorsport3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 3:22pm
Platform does sit above water for sure.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2010 at 10:05pm
Because the cracks are the same on both sides, I'll say that there is a weak point underneath the floor. Imagine coming off a big wave into the upside of the next big one at speed...wham. I've seen the center window fall through in an IO on an impact like that.

That said, you probably have several seasons left if you don't take it offshore.

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
NAUTIQUEjunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTIQUEjunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2010 at 2:04am
Nelson, Are you buying Bobby's 86 2001 i think thats his name in Raleigh? its got to be the same one i got pictures email to me. Midwatch Blue hull and ivory stripe, Titan tower new interior etc..

Every 86 2001 i looked at had some type pf Gel cracks so its probably safe to say its a characteristic of those year models. I ended up buying Mark's boat in Mocksville, I got a very fair Deal and it will be my Winter project to start Restoring the Boat and Trailer.
1977 MasterCraft Stars&Stripes
1994 Ski Nautique
2000 Super Air Nautique
1986 Ski Nautique 2001
1999 Sport Nautique gt40 current

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98motorsport3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2010 at 2:20am
Not bobby, I'm buying Ed Hudaks boat. It is blue w/titan tower. Tower speakers, dual batteries, blah blah blah lots of upgraded stuff. Only three pieces of the interior or new... so I don't know if its the same boat but I think it has to be since I don't see many w/the titan tower. Yeah Mark seemed like a fair guy..I'm sure you got a good deal on it, I would've gotten it, however due to my back at this point I can't do a resto. I do plan on restoring the floors stringers in this one in a few years, or sooner if the develop any trouble. We should get our boats together for some pictures!
eenaecker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eenaecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 2:56pm
I HAVE A 1979 BAREFOOT NAUTIQUE 460CU.INFORD   MOTOR I NEED A ENGIN COVER   
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2012 at 12:37am
I just cut whole in my 85 2001 for a paddle wheel. The hull was about 9/16" thick. Gel was about 1/16". It would take a lot to break through the hull even with rotten stringers. That was about twice my old malibud whose motor mounts fell through the rotten stringers and cracked the hull.
wakeboardin2k4 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wakeboardin2k4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2012 at 6:24pm
i have more stress cracks on my current 86 than old lady has wrinkles. Gel coat cracks like that should not intimidate you. Be more concerned about how the platform sits and other indications of bad stringers than just gel cracks.
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic