NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Max Ballast weight in my 78

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
petermuhic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermuhic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Max Ballast weight in my 78
    Posted: August-11-2010 at 10:28pm
i was just wondering, i am thinking of buying a ballast fat sac kit for my 1978 ski nautique, it contains a two bag set up/ Each bag is 60" long and 15" in diameter. i was thinking of putting one bag on each side of ther motor to weight down the boat for a bigger wake. Each bag weights 350lbs,

what im asking is,, do you think its a good idea to have these bags sitting on the stringers? because i have never openeed up the bottom of my boat, it seams very solid but i have no idea of how it is constructed and if it can take that weight....

thanks.. any input would help./
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermuhic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 2:11am
has anyone ever used these weight bags on there older ski nautiques?
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 2:38am
Originally posted by petermuhic petermuhic wrote:

has anyone ever used these weight bags on there older ski nautiques?

Some people have, some people think it not necessary. I think your talking about 766.1 lbs of addition, which would be pushing if not exceeding reccomended total combine weight. Johny Law looks for things like that. It's your vessel and you're the Capt., so do what you want.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 3:19am
You'll be fine. Lots of people running sacs on both sides of the motor box.

If you want to see the construction under your floor, do a search on stringer repair threads. A there have been a couple on boats of your vintage and you'll see what it looks like under there from the factory.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermuhic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 4:56am
alright,, thanks,, i know the newer boats alot of guys run with bags but i havent seen the older ones with it. Cause i want to produce a bigger wake for wakeboarding..

Oh and johny law doesnt affect me on the small lakes i wakeboard on, we dont hit the bigger lakes cause the small ones are more private, secluded, usually GLASS and have no cops, they have no reason to be there really.

just wanted to know if the boat can handle it.
ncdoubleup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncdoubleup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2010 at 12:38am
We had a 78 and ran 2 fat sacks and never had any problems. The floor and the stringers were new, but never had any problems. They will create a fantastic wake.

Good luck, have fun & be safe!!!
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2010 at 12:57pm
My 78 martinique has the same hull as your SN.

I usually add 1 large (600 lb IIRC) fat sac in place of the rear seat bottom, but I have added two, one bigger and one smaller 350 lb side sac in back. If I had 2 side sacs, I would have probably tried that combo too.

Now I do have a redone floor, all plywood and it's definitely heavier than the stock stuff was. I did even run a fat sac or 2 when I ran it for a brief time before redoing the floor and interior.
You'll be fine.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic