NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rare wood boat on my lake ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rare wood boat on my lake ?
    Posted: August-04-2010 at 12:02am
   I saw a beautiful wood boat on my lake last weekend. Maybe Pete has seen it somewhere in his ACBS travels. I stopped to check it out but the owner didn't appear to be around and I didn't have my camera. Pretty darn cool boat for sure. Found a pic on the internet, but for some reason the image uploader won't post it. Trying to get more info but it seems to be somewhat limited. It is a 28' triple cockpit built by Rochester Boat Works and it has a V12 engine in it. Supposedly it sank in the St Lawrence and was salvaged and restored some years ago. For some reason, I can't even get back to the page where I found the pic.

The boat is named "MR.BENNY" and under the name it says HOLLYWOOD.
The only info I can find on it says that there are only 3 known examples and it's one of the rarest wood boats in the world. The boat is absolutely stunning to see in the water.

Know anything about the history of this boat Pete??

Mike

Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2010 at 12:18am
Is this the image you were trying to get, Mike? Must have been cool to see that out on your lake. I am guessing from the info you posted you found the page that talked about the new owners and it being on display in NH in May.   I forwarded your post to some guys in NH that should know about it. I'll let you know if they know anything about it.

05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2010 at 12:37am
   Thanks Larry. I did see that piece about the new owners and the boat being on display in NH. John Perkins owns the camp it's docked at , so I can safely assume it's here to stay.

Here is a link to the pic I found.LINK

It is tied up on a dock directly across from Jeff Kostis' place on the lake. Apparently it was restored by Wayne Mocksfield,who is some sort of wood boat icon.

Mike

Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2010 at 10:35am
I have not seen "Mr Benny" in person nor do I know very much about it. I'll have to do some checking on it.

There's some $$$ tied up in that boat!!!

It's interesting that the boat is not listed in the ACBS directory under the boats name and there's only 1 Rochester listing. It however is only a 19' double cockpit. I'll check my 1 year newer directory when I get home.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
perky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2011 at 11:47pm
Mr. Benny is a 1926 28'9'' Rochester ultra sport runabout. It is powered by a Scripps model 302 Ho. 900 cu.in. v12 twin plug engine. It is one of two known, the other being located in California. There is no such thing as a 19' Rochester. 28' and 30' were the only models built. The boat was located by Wayne Mocksfield in 1980 in the Thousand Islands, New York. It under went an extensive three year restoration and has since been a multiple award winner. Most recently, it won best overall in class at Lake George. The boat was designed by A.W. "Bill" MacKerer during a brief tenure at Rochester Boat Works, Rochester New York from 1926 to 1928. He later went to Chris Craft and became their lead design engineer until he retired. Two books worth reading about Bill and the Rochester are; "A View from the Bilge" and "Building Chris Craft, Inside the Factories." Mr. Benny summers on Mousam Lake in Acton Maine or is resting comfortably at his home. Thank you for noticing, it is a stunning piece of boating history and is regarded by most in the wood boat community as "if not the finest, one of less than a handful. See you on the lake.

John R. Perkins
- owner
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2011 at 11:55pm
John, Welcome to CCF and thanks for posting. I'll have to keep my eyes open when I'm over that way. That is a beautiful boat.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2011 at 1:54am
John,

Welcome and thanks for the story on your beautiful boat. I'm curious. How did you find us? Just stumble across the site and this thread and there was your boat, or had you heard about it and came looking for it?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2011 at 9:35am
Originally posted by perky perky wrote:

Mr. Benny is a 1926 28'9'' Rochester ultra sport runabout. It is powered by a Scripps model 302 Ho. 900 cu.in. v12 twin plug engine. It is one of two known, the other being located in California. There is no such thing as a 19' Rochester. 28' and 30' were the only models built.
John R. Perkins
- owner

John,
Thanks for filling us in and welcome to the site. I too am curious on how you ended up here!!

So, what's the Rochester 19' listing in the ACBS directory? The owner even has a hull #!!! You should get in touch with him and find out the full story.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
perky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2011 at 12:15am
Don't know. Prior to 1922, it is believed boats were of the displacement type. Chris-Craft's first planing boat was built 1n 1922 using a Glen Curtiss converted airplane engine,an OX-5 type. Rochester Boat Works did advertise a line of runabouts in 1919 ranging from 19' to 35' That might be true .However, there were many unsuccessful attempts. Elco being one of them . The fact of the matter is, Rochester Boat Works claim to fame with regard to runabouts is due entirely to A.W. (Bill) MacKerer). He worked for Chris Craft prior to and after leaving Rochester,1926 thru 1928. During that time at Rochester he designed the ultra sport runabout, available in 28' and 30'. They ,like boats of that fintage, perhaps due low production, had Roman Numeral hull numbers. Bill MacKerer had been at Chris Craft for at least 3 years by the the time your 19' runabout ,1930, was built. You can think what you want ,and if it's yours,that's all that matters. However, it cannot be authenticated. Buyer BEWARE                                                              
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2011 at 2:20am
John,
I believe after I originally posted this you met my father in law. He has the 47 Chris Craft runabout tied up across from Kenny Edward's place.   I spend alot of time on the lake with Chauncey during the summer , whom I believe you know. That is indeed a beautiful piece. Thank you for checking in with the facts.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
perky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2011 at 7:02pm
Mike, I'm aware of the 47 chris craft you mention. I know Chauncey and Kenny both well. I don't believe I've met your father in law, however, we might have spoke in passing. It's nice to see the old wood on the lake. Hope he can keep her running. It's a pleasure . Feel free to stop at the camp when your out and about. Merilee and I are there all summer. Ice out,docks in, lets go boating. Have a great summer. John.
Mousam Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mousam Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2011 at 8:35pm
I saw your Mr. Benny runabout on Mousam last year and wondered if you will be running it again this year? Also, this last weekend I heard then saw a beautiful Chris Craft I think 19 or 20 foot split cockpit boat go by our cottage, would that be yours or someone you know?
Griffin's Corollary to Murphy's Law: Murphy was an optimist
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2011 at 11:09pm
I believe i saw that boat as well, cruising the lake Sat night.
Where are you on the lake mousamfan?

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mousam Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2011 at 3:35pm
I am located at the Goose Pond (north) end of the lake in Carpenter's Cove. I am across from the entrance to the cove on 18th street. My wife and I have taken over one of two cottages my dad owns but I've been on the lake since childhood. While we don't have a Correct Craft I have been a big fan as my dad has had one for many years, and his uncle had it many years before that... a 67 tan Barracuda that's been on Mousam since about 1968.
Whereabouts are you on Mousam?
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2011 at 9:55pm
I grew up going to mousam and learned to ski bad there . we were a half mile from the bridge under the road store . I loved it there .
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2011 at 1:33am
Originally posted by Mousam Fan Mousam Fan wrote:

I am located at the Goose Pond (north) end of the lake in Carpenter's Cove. I am across from the entrance to the cove on 18th street. My wife and I have taken over one of two cottages my dad owns but I've been on the lake since childhood. While we don't have a Correct Craft I have been a big fan as my dad has had one for many years, and his uncle had it many years before that... a 67 tan Barracuda that's been on Mousam since about 1968.
Whereabouts are you on Mousam?

I am on 31st (lower mousam) . I cruised thru Carpenters Cove on Sunday with my son. Lots of CCs on Mousam. Do you know Steve? He has the orange 66 Mustang in your cove.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mousam Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2011 at 7:13pm
I know the boat, but not the owner :) So that is Steve... good to know! Will say Hi next time I see him. I hope to get my dad to bring his barracuda back to the lake this summer. He is a NH Marine Patrol officer and doesn't have enough play time, so it sits on a trailer at his house. Waiting. Hopefully we can meet other CC owners and swap stories, meantime I surf this forum. I've been chomping at the bit to solve a skip problem when stepping into the throttle, I think it's the Carter AFB carb.
Hope to see you on the lake!
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2011 at 10:43am
What do you have for a boat? If no Correct Craft?

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mousam Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2011 at 12:10pm
We have two boats currently, a 1971 14' Penn Yan runabout with its original Merc 50hp outboard and an 18' Rinker bow rider. The Penn Yan is here with us in CT as I'm in the middle of restoring it. It was my dad's boat that he bought new when I was a kid. The Rinker was a neighbor's boat that was too good a deal to pass up. It's on Mousam for the summer. Then there's the boat I plan to build, a 20' Glen-L design mahogany barrelback inboard called a Key Largo. I just need to finish the Penn Yan first before I can start in on that!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2011 at 12:26pm

Then there's the boat I plan to build, a 20' Glen-L design mahogany barrelback inboard called a Key Largo.

No small task, but sometimes I think it would almost be easier to start from scratch than to restore one like Alan is doing.

Key Largo
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2011 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Then there's the boat I plan to build, a 20' Glen-L design mahogany barrelback inboard called a Key Largo.

No small task, but sometimes I think it would almost be easier to start from scratch than to restore one like Alan is doing.

Key Largo

Larry,
Yes, I agree that it's sometimes easier to build from scratch but you don't end up with the same boat!!! Keep in mind that Alan is dealing with a double plank hull side/transom as well. The only other boat manufacturer that did that was Garwood!!! It complicates the restoration.

I've known a couple guys who built Glen-L's. They both have had them for sale for years. You can't give them away. The same holds true for some of the reproductions out there and they are professionally built!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mousam Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2011 at 5:58pm
Yeah, it does look easier to build from scratch, especially cold-molded epoxy/wood construction compared to traditional batten-seam construction. The cold molded version will be stronger and lighter and probably lower maintenance. The Fish Bros. repro barrelbacks are a great boat and look original, but they are different. And quite expensive. The Glen-L boats are usually amateur-built and buyers shy away from those, not knowing how well they were built and may be difficult to insure if not meeting the same requirements as commercial-built boats. Granted, the repros and homebuilts do not have the same interest or demand as the originals. I don't see that ever changing. BUT, one can build their own boat to their own tastes and brag about it to anyone that will listen :) and often spend less cash for similar fun.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2011 at 6:39pm
I agree with both assessments. Alan is going to have a real collectors item/restoration and at the same time, sometimes its not about sellin' its about buildin' and havin'. I've got a Glen-L or comparable on my to-do list.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2011 at 10:15am
my thoughts were of the first planing boat he mentioned, i wonder on that day if they felt like the wright brothers, did they know that boat would go up on top? and did it scare the be***************s out of them?
"the things you own will start to own you"
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2011 at 3:38pm
   Threadjackin' my own thread:

I am located in Carpenter's Cove.

Who is the meatstick in Carpenter's with the white/purple nautique with the black tower that almost ran me over yesterday while pulling a tube full of kids? I'm pretty sure I've seen that boat tied up right near you based on the description you gave of your location in that cove.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic