Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'89 Engine Problem - No Spark

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
slfate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slfate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '89 Engine Problem - No Spark
    Posted: August-01-2010 at 5:55pm
I have an engine problem that I have not been able to diagnose. After we've run successfully for more than an hour, if I turn the engine off for more than about 10 - 15 minutes it won't re-start. I thought it was fuel, but it's not. I check with a timing light and there is no power to the distributor. It is electronic ignition. I have to let the boat sit for several hours before it will re-start. But when it does, it starts no problem.

Any idea what would case the spark to disappear and then mysteriously reappear after several hours of cooling off?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2010 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by slfate slfate wrote:

Any idea what would case the spark to disappear and then mysteriously reappear after several hours of cooling off?

Yes. I could get into why the gate oxides on the FET drivers are failing, but this is likely more than you need to know.

Appears the module is failing, that is your warning.

Can't undo the damage. There may be some mismatch on the coil primary resistance, ballast resister, etc that accelerated its demise, you will need to investigate with the new module after getting its specs. Try to get a pic or the brand.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic