Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

removing old stickers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ben View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: removing old stickers
    Posted: June-13-2005 at 11:48pm
I want to remove the decals off of my 88 ski. I pulled one to get an idea what would be involved, and it came off easily. I think I will need to wet sand to avoid outlines of letters staying there. If I wet sand, where do I start (grit) and finish? Thanks
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2005 at 10:02am
I started with 600 grit and worked my way up to 1500 grit. Then I used a polishing compound with my orbital buffer. The polishing compound that I used is comparable to 2000 grit paper. The whole thing came out great. Now I replace my graphics with a new design every year to keep that from happening again. I have my own vinyl cutter so the price is right. If you are having any trouble getting the old gum residue off, try some carb cleaner (Gum Out). The sticker residue will wipe right off. Be sure to wash it with soap suds afterwards.
billgatesceo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2005 at 11:37pm
I am in the process of removing the painted stripes, and at the same time removed the old stickers and pinstripes.

Under the stickers/pinstripes were paint, so I had to wetsand it off. The best way I found for removing the stickers is a heat gun. You can get one for 10 bucks at harbor freight.

Not too sure about the later 80's 2001's, but depending on the way the graphics were you might be in for alot of work wetsanding. You can see my thread "stripes removed '83" and see how much work has been involved, and I am nowhere close to finished.

If the stickers are only a small part and the gelcoat around them is in good shape then you might get by with wet sanding that small area. Just don't get carried away.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic