Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

LHD

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tim View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LHD
    Posted: June-10-2005 at 6:13pm
I am looking at a late sixties Barracuda but it has LHD. All the literature I have found shows RHD. Can anyone tell me what this boat is or why it is LHD?

Thanks
Tim
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2005 at 12:47am
It was probably converted by some previous owner trying to save some money and use automotive (LH) rotation. Watch out for the automotive parts - they can cause your boat to explode! ...of course, it could have been done correctly, and you might not notice any problems other than a slight list to starboard from torque.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2005 at 7:40pm
I'm not sure, but I think Tim was referring to where the steering wheel is. A good question Tim, because most of the boats and I think all of the catalogue pictures show the wheel on the right. The 66 mustang we had when I was a kid had the wheel on the right, but I have seen pictures of the same boat, give or take a year or two with the wheel on the left, same with other models, such as your prospective Barracuda. So, I don't have your answer, just thought I'd throw in my 2-cents worth.

Or, you may have been talking about engine rotation and now everyone will think I'm a nut-job.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2005 at 8:05pm
I think the two are usually related. When a LH (standard automotive rotation) engine is used, the steering wheel can be placed on the left so that the driver's weight counteracts the torque and keeps the boat level.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic