NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer Hitch Receivers...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer Hitch Receivers...
    Posted: June-24-2010 at 3:31pm
Hey guys, The Fiance and I are looking at some newer SUV's...getting rid of her 2-door that is useless...Can you tell me the difference between these two? The larger one which I think is class III is what I'm used to seeing. Lately on some of these vehicles I see the smaller one which is the class II I think...What are those capable of towing? Do I have to get the larger one on there to pull a Nautique around? I have no experience with the smaller receivers so just wondering if any of you would have...

BIGGER one (class III?):

SMALLER one (class II?):
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 3:42pm
Are you pulling a Nautique or a Correct Craft?
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 3:45pm
1990 Ski Nautique 196, 2007 Ski Nautique 206, 1985 Hydrodyne Twin rig with Twin 150 Evinrudes, 16ft Flat Bottom with 30HP Johnson, 1997 Kawasaki Jet Ski, 1985 Mazda truck bed converted to trailer(wood hauler), oh and a 2 place snowmobile trailer in winters...It won't all be at the same time though

Does that cover what I'll be towing? haha
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 3:47pm
Are you looking at explorers?

I would try to find one ( or any SUV)with the 2" receiver if you are. All explorers had the tow package std, but the optional tow package has the 2", and not the smaller one.

Many SUV's that are rated to tow 3500 lbs are the smaller receivers, and once you hit the 4500 lb rating, then they get the 2" ones.

Can you tow a nautique with the smaller one, sure, but usually the ones with the 2" receiver have extra goodies like tranny cooler, lower ratio gears, etc.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 3:51pm
Gotchya Horkn...yep we are looking at Explorers. I have a 97 now with the 5.0 towing pkg 2" all that jazz and love it...it's getting old (188k on it) and her car just sits in the garage now cuz she works from home...so we thought we would make an upgrade. I'm a ford truck fan and love the newer explorers. I agree on the tow package thing. That's a good call, thanks for the info! :)
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 3:53pm
Hey Horkn, one more thing...an explorer we're looking at is in Waukesha, WI. 3 hours from me...25 mins from you...want to go look at it for me? haha
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 3:54pm
Mike, I would go for a class 3 receiver. Since your going to be pulling the 90 and the 2007 I'd assume your going to have a pretty nice size SUV. They'll be able to handle the class 3.

horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

Hey Horkn, one more thing...an explorer we're looking at is in Waukesha, WI. 3 hours from me...25 mins from you...want to go look at it for me? haha

What dealer? I can probably check it out for you. I might have to go out that way soon anyways.

send me an email horkn3875 at yahoo dot com.

Tom
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2010 at 5:31pm
CCFAN guys rock!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic