Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1965 Correct Craft Parts

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
csg22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1965 Correct Craft Parts
    Posted: June-02-2010 at 2:10pm
We are restoringa 1965 CC. We are looking for the brads/screws that hold the splashrail.on. Does anyone know where I can buy them. They are about 1 1/2in long, 1/4in smooth head with grooves on the shaft.
Cindi
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 2:40pm
Cindi,
Wood 65? Model? From what you are describing, sounds like a ring shank nail. If so, we need to talk more here!!! Pictures are needed of the restoration.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rithmetic man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rithmetic man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2010 at 6:26pm
Cindi...I have a fiberglass 1965 SN and have had to replace the screws in both the aluminum rub rails and the wooden splash rail near the water line. If this is what you are talking about please send a post and I will help as much as I can. They will fall in the deepest part of the lake if you forget to keep them tight and are a real pain to try to match again.
"Life is hard; It's harder if you're stupid...Pilgrim..."

John Wayne

1965 Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2010 at 9:20pm
Wayne,
After over a week, (you can see in her profile her last visit was on the 2nd) Cindi must have found her fasteners. I even emailed her back on the 2nd via the site and got no response. BTW, I truly believe she is describing a ring shank nail and not a screw because everyone knows what a screw is. Even my wife!! Now, I have a feeling she has one of the very last wood Tournament Skiers due to the ring shanks.

BTW, if you're loosing screws out of your spray rails, you've got some problems! You should not have to periodically tighten them. Did you use White oak, CPES, epoxy the laminations and then bed in 5200?

What was the problem matching the screws? Were the oval head Read & Prince?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rithmetic man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2010 at 10:06pm
You are probably right on her posting Pete. The screws we were losing were on the 3/4 in. aluminum rub rail seam between the deck and tub. There is no backing behind the fiberglass and as the hole has worn the screws get loose. I did bed each of the screws with 3M 5200 which seems to have worked for awhile. The lower wooden splash rail bounced up on the fender while loading one time and actually came loose in a short section. I cleaned and caulked the joint, screw holes and beds with the 5200 and have had no problem since. We did lose a short section of the aluminum rail in the lake though before we decided to give some attention to the loose screw problem. We have really had a great time learning from this boat. Now that the mechanics are stable I would really appreciate your take on what to do with the cosmetics. The boat has a few spider cracks and was repainted prior to our ownership. How much trouble would it be to re-gel as opposed to recondition and repaint? I have been reading about the AWL-GRIP paint product but have no idea how good it is and also finding articles about the re-gel option. Ultimately I would prefer re-gel but I have no idea how to do it and have lost two very good shops in moves so I really do not have a place to do the work right now. What are your thoughts?

John Wayne

1965 Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2010 at 10:57pm
Wayne,
With any gel cracking, they need to be repaired (reconditioning as you mentioned) first whether you do a gel or paint job. Some will try to paint over gel cracking but the cracks will come through in a short time. Cracks are routed out and filled but in some cases there are so many the complete gel layer is removed. This is common on bottoms with osmonic blistering. Regel is a lot of work/man hours and the reason some opt for paint jobs. Gel doesn't go on smooth like paint and takes lots of wet sanding to get the "orange peel" out. However, a polyester gel is more durable and will take more abuse.

One of our members Michelle (sanity) undertook gelling her Mustang. She hadn't even held a spray gun before!! Did her research and went for it!! She has a couple of threads on the project. She's currently stopped working on it for some time out to get married but will be back at it soon.

If you can find a spot for doing the boat and want to do a gel job yourself, go for it!! The result will be superior to paint.

Filling the loose screw with the 5200 will work but won't tighten up very much. You could ether fill the hole with filled epoxy and re drill or, put new rub rail on shifting the location of the holes. That's what I'd do when you regel the boat!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rithmetic man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2010 at 11:12pm
Thanks Pete. It does appear that the current spider cracks through the paint are from previous unfixed wounds. I am at least a season away from doing anything anyway. We are just going to enjoy the ride for the rest of this season. I agree that the screw fix will be done when we put fresh makeup on her. Thanks for your thoughts

John Wayne

1965 Nautique

csg22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 12:50am
Sorry guys, was trying to help friend and mistated info. We were looking for upholstery nails (aluminum dome heads with ring shank) that held aluminum trim around top of seats. I think he decided just to use ss screws after not finding original style nails. Thanks
Cindi
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 8:57am
Cindi,
You've got to tell us more about the boat!!! Does the friend know about CCfan? How far along is he on the restoration?

Btw, what he needed for the trim is called a "escutcheon pin". They are available in many sizes but hard to find in the aluminum ring shank. Stainless is now the replacement.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic