Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Low erratic oil press at idle after run

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
wbowden1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbowden1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low erratic oil press at idle after run
    Posted: June-01-2005 at 3:33pm
My 1988 PCM 351 has an erratic low oil pressure (5-15psi)after I have run it at or above approx. 2000rpm for a while and then drop it back down to idle speed. The level is fine and I have tried different viscosities both multi and single grades. After a few minutes it goes up to the norm. It's been like this since I bought it used in the early 90's.
I have not done anything with the gauge or sensor. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bill
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2005 at 3:51pm
Change the sensor, then go from there. Avoid using teflon tape when installing the sensor as it can interfer with the grounding of the sensor and give false/erratic readings. Just my .02.
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2005 at 4:08pm
You need to seal it with something. Otherwise you have to overtighten it to get a good seal. I would use either hylomar, teflon tape on the upper 1/2 of the threads, or pipe thread sealer. Dave is right about the sensor, it's probably getting heat soaked.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2005 at 3:37am
If you are going to replace the sending unit, make sure you replace it with a marine sending unit, not one from the local auto parts store. The ohms are different. You'll really be getting irradic readings. Check to be sure the connections are good, there could be a grounding problem.
But... is there really a problem? Fords usually have low oil pressure. The Ford manual says you should have about 10 psi for every 1000 rpms.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic