Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Worried about fat sacs

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Sedny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worried about fat sacs
    Posted: June-01-2005 at 3:00am
I have a 1979 Ski Nautique that I am using for wakeboarding. I have noticed a significant diffrence when I have an extra buddy on the boat sitting on one of the sides.
When I had bought the boat I knew I wanted to weight the back with fat sacs or some weight to get a decent wake.
I just bought a fat seat, and here is what I am worried about:

An old timer down the street was giving me caution that too much weight, if I go to a sudden stop could cause the wave to overtake the boat and flood it ... possibly sending it to the bottom.

Does anybody know the max limit in weight to a 1979 Ski Nautique, my tags are worn out. Any advice on how much weight I should add on, if I had driver and a spotter ?

Advice would be greatly appreciated !
Sedny Attia
1979 Ski Nautique
Chrysler 318
1time17 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1time17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2005 at 4:13am
i have an 84 2001 and used to have a fat seat so maybe i can help.. i have filled a fat seat to the rim and used it with know problems but yes a big wake trails but it might splash you but i dont see it sinking your boat.. a little trick is to give it a little throttle so that you dont even get splashed.. but yes i did say i used to have a fat seat i really didnt like it because if i wandted to lift my motor box the arms of the seat always would fall into the box so i bought 2 sacs in replacement.

also once you start addind alot of weight you might think of getting a prop to help you get on a plain if you dont already have one...

hope this helps
gotta love those old school nautiques
custom2001
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2005 at 9:36am
You say you can't get a decent wake with a '79 without ballast?

My obeservation is 95% of the people out there have too much wake and too little technique. Perhaps you're in the the 5%.

You should be able to add the equivelent weight of passenegers in their locations, 3*150# in the rear, 6 @ 150 total max, or whatever your USCG plate says.

Remember your skier (ahem, boarder) counts as a passenger.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2005 at 11:14am
You'll get a bigger wake if you put the weight near the center of the boat, around the engine area instead of at the back seat.
Tim D
billgatesceo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2005 at 12:22pm
I had a '77 Skier and we used to 'sac it out pretty good. You definately should be worried about taking water over the stern. Just like previously said, give it a little throttle as the wake begins to creep up the back and you should be okay.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2005 at 12:34pm
I believe the '79 Nautique hull is indentical to my '77 Martinique hull. If so, the rated capacity is 670 lbs for gear and passengers.
Tribal150 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tribal150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2005 at 8:03pm
I have a 76 ski nautique, and I regularly use a 600 pound fat sack just ahead of the rear seat, and it makes a really great wake, however that said, I have added 3 bigger guys sitting in the rear seat, and I was afraid of sinking it. The water was only about 2 inches from the top in the back, so any sudden turns, or stopping could cause you to flood it. You have to remember, that these are a really small boat, when compared to even the "2001" model and especially these new boats, which is really what the fat sacks are marketed for, we have a really narow beam, so we can't displace to much water before we sink. Now I am not trying to discourage you, but I would sugest moderation first. Remember This is not a "world class" wakeboard boat, so you can never hope for that huge of a wake. That is why those boats are 23'+ long and weigh over 3000 pounds.
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2005 at 2:44am
For what its worth, I have never seen a CC sink to the bottom because it filled with water. I have seen a few swamped like a canoe, but never to the bottom.
billgatesceo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2005 at 3:04am
When we sac'd our '77 skier out, we had a 500lb all the way in the back where the seat goes...250lb sac between the drivers and passenger seat...and 250lb between the rear sac and the engine cover. It would definately get close to coming over the back, but if you payed attention when driving and slowing down, you could prevent it from happening every time. This was with two people riding in the boat and one boarder. The wake was pretty huge.

Check out my old classified thread for pics of the wake:

wakepics
Ken View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2005 at 3:18am
Hey mate I have a 1980 SN that I use solely for wakeboarding over here in Aust. I don't think you'll need to completely fill the fat seat to get a cracker of a wake. My normal set up is... 250Kg (500 Lb) fattie just behind engine, another 100Kg fattie behind that & 150Kg in leads in front of the engine but behind the driver/observer. Take a look at my Diaries post for a pic of the wake. (blue 1980 SN in Brisbane, Australia). With this set up we run @ 37-38Kph @ 75'.

Last weekend I experimented a bit and tried 250Kg down each side of the engine and the wake was crap. It washed out from 55' and totally sucked. These boats react best to weighting more rear biased. The wake will be big but also steep (OK cause that's the way I like it).

Send me an email to ksellwood@marshsprings.com.au if you want any more info,

Cheers,
Ken
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2005 at 8:10pm
I also have an 80 nautique and I would suggest that a Fat seat is a bad idea. The boat is smaller beam than most boats and doesn't need to have much weight to have an awesome wake. Thinner boat = diggs deeper into the water with smaller amount of weight when compared to bigger boats. I usually put about 500lbs or less in the back and it has a wake that throws a huge kicker. It is so steep due to the narrowness of the boat and if you stay stiff through the wake it throws you up amazing than any other wake I have ever tried. It is actually harder to ride, but more fun. This year I am going to plumb another 250 sac infront of the drivers seat which is supposedly going to ad volume to the wake instead of being such a kicker. This will hopefully help some of the less tallented people that I ride with and make the wake more predictable for some of the bigger tricks. I think fat seat is around 1100 lbs which is crazy and your boat will point out of the water like a boner. It will also kill some of your gasoline. Just make sure you have a tower etc. and with a little bit of weight you can do whatever you want. There is no glory making your boat look like a boner when your on the lake.
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2005 at 12:02am
Ive got a '78 and the fat seat and it puts out a gargantuan wake, but be careful when turning around to pick up downed riders, be sure to head straight into your own wake or you'll take on some water.... nothing thats should sink it though.
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2005 at 3:52pm
Billgatesceo:

You just made my day. I have a picture of my 75 Tique idling up the lake as my computer desktop wallpaper. I followed your link to the video sound clip of your boat. Its the sweetest music around - that's half the reason I own an inboard. Anyway I downloaded it and now whenever I need a boost, I go to my desk top and "start 'er up"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic