Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pylon flex

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wi_Ski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wi_Ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pylon flex
    Posted: May-31-2005 at 1:54pm
Hello,

I am fairly new to ski boats, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. But...How much pylon flex is normal when you've got a large skier, say 200+ lbs., cutting pretty hard? I've got a 94 Ski Nautique, and just noticed this weekend that the pylon flexes about an inch or so back and fourth. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? I checked the mountings, they seem to be fine. I'm wound tight enough as it is regarding the boat, so needless to say I found it pretty unnerving.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Jeff Rakocy
Madison, Wisconsin
94 Ski Nautique
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2005 at 12:44pm
The pylon on my '77 flexes about the same. To help you relax a bit, carefully inspect the floor deck at the base of the pylon for soft spots. Also, if the base is not moving, then nothing to worry about.
Wi_Ski View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wi_Ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2005 at 7:43pm
Thanks for the info David. I'll check where it goes through the floor and the base in the bilge agian, hopefully I didn't miss anything.

Jeff Rakocy
Madison, Wisconsin
94 Ski Nautique
SGY View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2005 at 2:24pm
Last year I road in 97 SN pulling a guy into 32 off. He was average size--6.0/170lbs. I happened to notice the pylon which at the hardest part of the pull (right behind the boat)flexed more than an inch. I too freaked and did some checking. Everyone at CC indicated that this was normal.
Brad_K View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad_K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2005 at 9:15am
I noticed the same problem on my 1980 barefoot, it was just after I had been using and extended pylon for wakeboarding and when I took it off to use the standard pole I found that I could move it about this much just by pushing and pulling it, so I lifted the engine cover to find the base mounting onto the hull had broken off tacking with it a layer of fibreglass about the size of a dinner plate. I trimmed the broken piece down a bit cleaned and dried it and cut small channels into it, did the same to the hull from where it broke off and used fibre glass bridging compound to secure it back in place. It has been so far but needless to say I no longer use the extended pylon.
Wi_Ski View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wi_Ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2005 at 1:53am
Thanks for all of the info. I checked again carefully under the floorboards and found that the two U-Bolts which anchor the pylon to the cross member between the stringers were just a little loose. They weren't visibly loose, but did take about a full turn or more with a socket wrench. After doing that most of the flex (especially sideways) that I saw was gone. It does still flex back a bit, sounds like that's normal though.

Thanks again,

Jeff Rakocy
94 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic