Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carpet installation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pmt2234 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmt2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carpet installation
    Posted: May-27-2005 at 12:28pm
I'm about to reinstall carpet on the sides and rebuilt floor of my 1984 SN2001.

Does anyone have tips about how to get it to lay flat and glue down well? When test fitting, I get a lot of wrinkes.

TIA
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2005 at 1:57pm
pmt2234,

I'm sure you'll get some step by step advice
(in fact, you might want to search old posts
here, I think I've seen some previous discussion)

Anyway, I've only done one boat, and it
wasn't a correct craft. A key for me was
a good heavy roller. One of the kind
with a black rubber roller as opposed to a flimsy paint roller. I think it might have
been a wallpaper roller. It was really helpful in spreading the carpet, making good
contact, and ensuring that the glue below the
carpet was distributed evenly. Just put the
carpet down and then used the roller to spread
stretch, coax, etc.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Mr SPOK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr SPOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2005 at 4:52am
Here are some advices about re-carpeting.
Good luck.
http://www.the2001.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=79
Mr SPOK from France Planet
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2005 at 8:39am
You should roughly cut the carpet into the spaces needed. Then Glue the carpet and trim afterwards. I used a rolling pin to smush the carpet onto the glue for my boat. Use a outdoor carpet glue trowel or whatever. It has teeth which makes grooves in the glue. wrinkles are due to wrong cut carpet or no glue.
S.T. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S.T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2005 at 6:34pm
I think what BKH is describing is called a "J-Roller" and it's often used for gluing veneers and laminates. I think I got mine at Home Depot for $9. Anyway, it lets you apply a lot of pressure and is fairly comfortable to use (compared to something like a rolling pin).
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2005 at 10:19pm
I would like to carpet the side boards on my '68. The existing side boards are covered in some lame vinyl that is peeling off. They look terrible. The mid 60s Mustangs had side boards with some kind of pockets for convenience storage. They suck. The vinyl is drooped into these pockets and they trap water. I don;t know how else to explain it but they need to go. I like the look of the side boards on the main page of this website. Has anyone crafted new side boards for mid-60s Mustangs? I need some ideas.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic