Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rotted stringer/engine mount questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rotted stringer/engine mount questions
    Posted: May-24-2005 at 3:33am
I've drilled all the rotten wood out of the stringers in my '69 Barracuda and I'm ready to fill and drill the new wood/dowel/clear epoxy mixture. A friend suggested using 3/8" stainless threaded rod instead of lag bolts. He said bend about 2" of an 8" rod at ninety degrees and then embed it in the right place when you put the mixture in. Sounds like a great idea to me. Afterward you can remove the mounts by removing stainless nuts on the rods. Kind of like a carb mounts to the top of an engine. Any good reason not to do it this way? I can't think of any, but I'll defer to wiser heads…

But my real question is about re-doing the fiberglass. I wound up with three holes at the back and two at the front on each side about 1"to 1.25" in diameter in the fiberglass. When   I replace this fiberglass, do I just layer new fiberglass over the old with resin? If I do that in large sheets, I will be adding thickness above the old fiberglass and changing the orientation of the motor by the thickness of the fiberglass. Do I adjust the motor mounts to restore the alignment? Or do I cut the existing fiberglass back so I actually add no thickness in the area where the motor mounts will sit? That will mean removing a lot more fiberglass. And how do I join the old with the new? Does the new just butt up against the old? Or does the new need to overlap? How much? And that will change the location of the mounts and engine, won't it?

Also, how many layers of fiberglass do I need? Do I lay multiple layers all at once? Or several layers laid at different times? Or just a single layer with lots of clear resin. As in, is that how I control thickness, and how much is the right amount?

Thomas
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2005 at 1:19pm
I think I can help. You should grind the orignal fiberglass down to a point that you can achieve a 12:1 taper at each end. Meaning if you fiberglass is 1/8" thick, you would need grind from nothing to full depth over a length of 1.5" (12 X 1/8"). Then lay in new fiberglass using epoxy resin. You should layup multiple layers that "walk" up the taper on the original glass. Alternate between mat and woven roving, but start and end with mat. Each success layer should be larger than the proceeding layer by 1/4" to 1/2". If you get to the top of the taper and need more layers, then just build by "walking" down the taper. The final elevation should be the same as original. Use Epoxy resin for its superior adhesive qualities and strenght over Polyester resins.

I like the treaded rod idea, but will hard to glass around. Protect the threads from epoxy resin by using paste wax.

You can also just patch each individual hole in the same manner as above. Grind out a dish around each hole and lay up fiberglass gut into ever larger circles.

You do NOT want to do the patch in stages. Complete the task before the resin sets up so it is a monolithic patch.
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2005 at 3:01pm
Got it. Thank you. But…

How do I know how many layers to use? I didn't look that closely, but I'm not sure I can tell how many layers are in the original. Is that the standard?

Or do I go by the final thickness? In which case doesn't it matter how much I compress the layers as I lay them in?

(My only previous experience with fiberglass was a failed experiment on a rusty Vega with a product that was supposed to cure and harden with the sun. Never really hardened and didn't leave a very good taste in my mouth.)

Thomas
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2005 at 4:42pm
tleed,
I also like your dog-leg bolt idea except, me being the skeptic I am, what are you going to do if you set your engine in place and your bolt is, say, 1/2 bolt diameter too far to the front or rear? Are you going to bend it? Hit it with a hammer?

I have found that my "good ideas" sometimes bite me in the rear and it is quite often that the safe and smart thing to do is to adhere to the norm.

I would use lag bolts and locate them after the engine is lowered into place. My 2 cents.

More good info David - do you have that book in progress yet?
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2005 at 5:33pm
tleed:

Number of layers does not matter as it will vary dependent on the weight of mat or roving you purchase. Just lay-up to equal the original thickness. You need to also get a groove roller to compress the layers and force out all the entraped air bubbles.

You should not have the hardening issues with epoxy as it is almost impossible to make a mistake as it will most likely be 1:1 or 3:1 ratio epoxy.

Visit www.uscomposites.com for materials.
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2005 at 3:46am
Jim, Jim, Jim!

I have an old poster somewhere that features a lone ship sailing off into a dramatic sunset. The caption says "A ship in a harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

If you knew me, you'd know I'd have to try the more innovative, and hopefully easier/more superior approach.

Bought the stainless threaded rod tonight. I was very careful to observe & mark the location of the bolts. I plan to put them back in using the wooden spacers as markers to locate them. Don't see why it shouldn't work right, but I'll report if it doesn't.

Thanks again, David F.!

Thomas
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2005 at 11:54am
Maybe you can lay a sheet of plywood on the exisiting holes and dril holes in the plywood to make a templet.

Probably all of us share your spirit of adventure. Take some pics along the way showing steps if you can (before, during, and after), and let us know how it works out - I like the idea of having threaded studs to bolt to.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2005 at 11:54pm
That's what I plan to do. I cut new plywood for the rear 1/2" spacer and already drilled matching holes. That, along with the actual motor mounts, should make a good template.

The picture idea is good. I'll document along the way.

Thomas
john33617 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john33617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2005 at 11:32am
http://www.seawolfindustries.com/seacast.html
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic