Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rub Rail

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
shum8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shum8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rub Rail
    Posted: May-21-2005 at 6:09am
I wish to remove the alum. rub rail on my 77 Ski and replace it with the vinyl type with the rope insert. Can anyone help as to what brand and what size? Or even where to get a good deal. Do you buy the vinyl without the insert and then buy rope to go in the insert? What about the rear corners. Do you bend the rub rail around the corners or do you buy corners seperate? Also the stainless piece that covers the joint. Can this item be bought, or does anyone have any other suggestions? In other words can anyone give me the low down on rub rails. Thanks   
Trip View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2005 at 2:27am
I have an 85 2001 with the rub rail you are talking about. I was thinking about replacing it and talked with mid west correct craft in Ohio. They have a deal that if you sign up on www.planetnautique.com (free) you get 15% off all purchases. I ended up just cleaning it up really good and it looks nice but I did order the rope. THey say you need about 47 feet and it is about $1.15 a foot. It looks like just normal rope that you might use for an anchor or something so you might be able to find it cheaper. You can get most of the parts from them so I imagine they have the piece that screws into the back where the rubrail meets.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2005 at 1:14pm
You can get all the pieces from CC (for 2001 models), or you can go directly to the manufacturer which I believe is Taco. For instance, Boaters World sells the Taco rub rail and vinyl inserts in various sizes and configurations. I am guessing you would want the V11-2423. You can use either the vinyl tube insert or anchor rope. You would have to buy the stainless end cap from CC.

Yes, the rail simply bends around corners and the bow for a continous one piece fit. So, you would purchase 50' rail (smallest amount available).
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2005 at 12:44pm
Found my original invoice, dated 9/6/88, from Southwest CC.

1-1/4" rub rail: PN 8858
5/8" rope: PN 8890
Screws: PN 9120 (100 count)
End cover: PN 8880

Total cost in '88 was $162.81 + tax
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2005 at 4:49am
I have a thread from last year about replacing th e rope in a 2001.. what bit$%# that was. The rub rail was dried out from the years... the rope came out great, but getting the rope back in was horrible. Took for every and a custom tool to slip it in. Plus, when I was done, the exact footage was I pulled was what i bought, plus more.. but when I was putting it in, it compressed the rope and I ended up short 2 feet.. so pissed.   So buy extra is all i can say and a jug of liquid soap.

cheers!
tc
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic