NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

prop shaft removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 9:07am
Originally posted by benrankin33 benrankin33 wrote:

I have worked very hard in my other boats to eliminate water in the bilges. It has cost me alot of money in the past, but being a boat owner I know the old saying. Guess I'am just anal about it.

Ben,
You haven't worked hard to keep water out of a bilge unless you've owned a wood boat that needs a new bottom! Have you owned one?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
benrankin33 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benrankin33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 10:19am
I have never owned a wood boat, but I can only imagine, thanks again for the info.
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 10:27am
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

Be patient, lots of old folks around here are in bed already.

It was nice that you didn't mention Pete by name.....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 10:51am
Originally posted by LaurelLakeSkier LaurelLakeSkier wrote:

Ok, I seem to remember that you were always the one who needed his beauty rest and never wanted to be out very late at GL!! Those barefoot runs sure and hard on the older generation!    

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 11:12am
be sure to call Elberts direct, if not the shafts are pricey...do a search, i guess i can do that now unless someone distributes ARE shafts
"the things you own will start to own you"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benrankin33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 11:49am
Cecil sent me to Discount Inboard Marine, price is 315.00+shipping, do you know of a better price somewhere?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 12:10pm
it sounds like Cecil is using the code of the road, still cheaper than a single taper.
"the things you own will start to own you"
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 12:17pm
I should have waited, I gave 336.00   4years ago.

I used to work on boats that were equipped with the dripless seal. IMO they were a lot more hassle.

I have always run my stuff box a little tighter, maybe 6 drips a day. this way any drips will evaporate.

AT
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benrankin33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 1:11pm
It sounds like I should stick with stuffing box, sure is alot cheaper!
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 1:35pm
Skidim is the cheapest for the shaft w/ the 10% discount kind covers shipping
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benrankin33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 1:47pm
Dan,                                                           Is Discount Inboard Marine the same as Skidim?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benrankin33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 1:55pm
Never mind answered my own ques.!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 9:08pm
I am happy with the gore-tex packing. I only get about a pop can's (soda for you easterners) worth of water in a several hour wakeboard session. More water than that comes from the boarders!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2010 at 9:19pm
hahaha!   Chris, Pop turns into soda south of Lineville, IA also.

AT
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2010 at 1:39am
I put in the PSS in my 82 several years ago. Clean dry bilge, . But, you are right, it is pricey.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benrankin33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2010 at 2:53pm
Has anyone had any experiance with tho OJ dripless seal, it's 50 bucks cheaper than PSS?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2010 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I only get about a pop can's (soda for you easterners) worth of water in a several hour wakeboard session.

It's a Coke can's worth down heahh in da south.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2010 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by benrankin33 benrankin33 wrote:

Has anyone had any experiance with tho OJ dripless seal, it's 50 bucks cheaper than PSS?

Ben,
You really must have a phobia about water in the bilge! Do you know how to swim?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benrankin33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2010 at 8:16pm
Pete,                                                         I am a very good swimmer, but you are partially right, water in the bilge does bother me.lol!       
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2010 at 1:35am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by LaurelLakeSkier LaurelLakeSkier wrote:

Ok, I seem to remember that you were always the one who needed his beauty rest and never wanted to be out very late at GL!! Those barefoot runs sure and hard on the older generation!    

You 2 guys are killin' me...wanna compare birthdates?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2021 at 8:13pm
if I pull the prop first, can the prop shaft slide by the rudder or do I need to pull the rudder also?
Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2021 at 10:20pm
97?  Should be offset enough to get the shaft past the rudder.  I dont think that was the case in older boats.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2021 at 5:49am
Originally posted by wetskier2000 wetskier2000 wrote:

if I pull the prop first, can the prop shaft slide by the rudder or do I need to pull the rudder also?

Is this dealing with your thread in the link below asking about replacing your cutlass bearing?

I'd lay under the boat and see if you have any rudder offset as a start.
wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2021 at 8:00am
thanks guys... Yup, just getting around to changing the cutlass bearing now...
Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic