Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Interior Trim

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
882001SN View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interior Trim
    Posted: May-19-2005 at 12:24am
Hi All,

I have a 2 part question:

1. Is the trim wood in my 1988 SN Teak or some other wood? (i.e. along the side where one would enter the boat and the cup holder mounted to the engine cover)

2. If it is teak was it Finished by the factory? (i.e. Stained and varnished)

Thanks

mike
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2005 at 11:04am
Mike, I would guess that it is indeed teak and can't imagine it being anything else but that. NEVER but stain or varnish on teak as it is a wood that needs to breathe and staining and varnishing wood only harm it. Use Teak oil on the wood and nothing else. If it is dull,gray, or mildewed then you may have to use a teak cleaner or even sand it down to restore it to original. Teak oil may come in different shades but none not very dark most I've seen are golden in color. The factory probably put a final coat of oil on the wood before shipping it to the dealer but that is just a guess.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2005 at 11:07am
It's teak.
It's not stained and varnished, it been treated with teak oil from the factory.
If your thinking about refinishing it's real easy, I did the interior trim on my 87 and it turned out great. Startbrite makes a teak refinishing kit that works great on interiors and the back deck (3 part box kit) You can get it at Boat/US or West Marine. For the most part I just followed instructions, I sanded a few rough area's that needed it also.
882001SN View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2005 at 11:42am
Skyhawkflyer and Morfoot,

Thanks for the help guys, that is what I thought. I always knew that the only thing you should do to teak is clean and oil it as the gray coloring is actually mold build up in the teak. However the previous owner "finished" the rear swim platform and interior wood. It has been stained and varnished. I have sanded the rear swim platform and got it back to original teak but that took me a solid week worth of work to get it back. Is there a better way of doing the interior wood? Meaning can I use a striper on it or will that hurt the teak wood?

Thanks again for the help

Mike
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2005 at 12:05pm
I don't believe a stripper will hurt the teak. Just don't let it dry before rinsing off. The teak cleaner is a very mild acid (in the starbrite kit), the brightener is essentially the same as bleach or TSP to kill the mold, so I don't see where using a water soluble stripper would hurt anything. (don't use bleach or TSP though). Just be sure to get it all rinsed off, and make sure you take your platform OFF the boat while refinishing just to be safe.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic