Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Morse Control backwards???Help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Rand View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Morse Control backwards???Help
    Posted: May-17-2005 at 1:15am
I have my throttle backwards, where in the neutral position it is at full throttle and if I move the lever all the way forward or reverse (in neutral) it gets back to idle.

The transmission shifts fine, so I think that cable is ok.

But, what position should the bracket be while at idle and neutral? I have it at aprx. 9 o clock right now, I move it to 6 and while it shuts down the throttle to less, it then binds when I go into reverse?

Any ideas, I check out http://www.teleflexmarine.com/

But they didnt have really any good schematics
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2005 at 1:39am
The throttle cable control bracket on the Morse control on my '68 points straight forward when the control arm is in neutral. The bracket moves up or down and towards the rear of the boat when you push the control arm forward or pull it backward. This results in the throttle cable being pushed towards the carb whenever you push the control foward or pull it backward.

Yours is probably set up the same.

I can take a pic if this explanation is not clear.

(I had mine out and had the same problem you have trying to re-assemble it.)
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Rand View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2005 at 4:12am
That would explain it, because I have it facing backwards and it is essentially the complete opposite of what it is supposed to be.

From the looks, it appears that it would be hard to attach the cable if I moved the bracket to the "3" o clock position. But I will sure try. The transmission is shifting fine, but just the throttle.

Thanks
Rand
Rand View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2005 at 4:53pm
Ok I figured out that the arm goes straight foward for it to work, but the problem is now, I can attach the cable to the arm in the neutral position. The cable is too taught or has no slack. If I rotate the arm up or down away from the cable, I can attach it no problems, but once you go for neutral, it can not be reached because the cable cannot be push any further back.

What I cant figure out, is the cable is mounted in the exact same position, and so is the throttle. I bolted the plate with four bolts right back on to the throttle, and didnt change anything.

ANy ideas?

Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2005 at 7:17pm
It is proably best to remove the throttle cable from the carb before you try to mount the cable to the control.

At the carb, you will have to pull out the cotter pin, slip the adjustment nut out of the carb throttle flange and unscrew the nut some. See if you can run the adjustment nut on the carb out to the end of the cable. This should give you some slack.

What I did, which worked well, was remove the cable from the carb, start the engine and allow it to warm up to operating temp. (Be sure to connect a water supply to the water intake.) Adjust the carb idle screw to idle speed. (About 700-800 RPM on mine.)

Shut down the engine. Install the cable on the control. Place the throttle control in neutral (straight up). Adjust the cable nut (on the carb end) so that with the throttle control arm in neutral (straight up) the adjustment nut slips straight into the hole in the carb throttle flange without having to move the carb throttle at all.

This should put you in good shape. Is it a new cable? A new control? If I may ask, why is it disassembled?

Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Rand View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2005 at 2:10am
It is a newer cable and was disassembled so I get redo the side combing pads.

Thanks for advice
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic