NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Solid Steering

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solid Steering
    Posted: May-14-2005 at 12:36pm
Hello,
Just wanted to share this, and hoping it wasn't already covered ad nausium?
I've run this for a few years now with good success. I know I certainly didn't think of this first, and more modern boats are configured this way, but wanted to share how straightforward it is to change the method of fixing the control cable mount from the stringer to something better.
My steering cable bracket was previously mounted with lag screws (not through-bolted!) to wood stringers, the clamp block was some stamped steel plates and sloppy gimbal that looked barely suitable for a 70hp outboard.

I got this beefy powder-coated clamp block from skidim, the steel plate is 1/4" thick and was originally bent up for stake-body truck beds, but anything strong will do. I suspect aluminum could fatigue so I chose steel. Careful preclean and paint has inhibited any corrosion.

Just wanted to add, anyone still running 20+ year old steering and control cables may want to entertain replacing them preemptively, considering the speeds and proximity to fallen skiers we navigate our boats to.

A fresh morse cable and this solid mount is great peace-of-mind and really adds precise feel to the steering.

Hope some find it useful, stay safe..

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 2:33pm
i'm guessing the 6 nuts & washers also hold the strut under the hull ?
kenny g
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 3:10pm
Yes Ken, correct
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2005 at 2:34pm
Did you add the two bolts in the middle? Both of my boats and everyone I have seen only have four bolts holding the strut in place.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2005 at 6:57pm
Hi David,
nope, thats the way I found it, w/ six bolts.
I've had the strut off to remove a stubburn bushing before, the holes appeared original, but this photo is not on a CC, its my old supreme. (sorry I neglected to mention that)
my ski buds are the CC owners, i'm just a fan.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2005 at 7:34pm
Well, that explains it. I was assuming it was a CC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic