Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is the purpose of Fresh Water valve?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BrettB1 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the purpose of Fresh Water valve?
    Posted: May-12-2005 at 3:50am
I was wondering what exactly is the purpose of the fresh water inlet valve...it's got a screw off cap on the stern of my 78'. I read something about running fresh water through it at the dock, however I still don't know what the purpose is. Please explain
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 10:56am
Brett, The purpose of the fresh water inlet valve on the stern of your boat is so that you can flush out the salt water after running your boat in the harsh conditions. You wouldn't want to leave salt water in the engine block or any other part of the engine cause it would only speed up corrosion exponentially. If you didn't flush it out you'd be replacing parts more frequently and creating engine problems as things start to fail because of being corroded. PLUS you can run the motor with out it being in the water after you do engine work of any type. Just hook up your garden hose and fire it up.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
BrettB1 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2005 at 6:04pm
Hey Morfoot,
I really appreciate the info. Thats what I thought it was for, but someone on the board posted that if he didn't have his closed, that his boat would overheat and he said he had to have a fake-a-lake to start the boat out of the water. I haven't nor will I ever have it in saltwater but I would like to fire it up out of the water. Thanks again to all of you guys who reply to us who have far less knowledge and keeping this board saturated with a plethora of information.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2005 at 12:11am
Brett, Glad I could help. You do need to however plug the inlet screen with something( like a toilet plunger)so the water that you are pumping in through the inlet valve doesn't all fall out the bottom of your boat before it gets to the engine. So in a since the other info was right!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gary View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2005 at 3:28pm
I justed purchased a 1988 Ski Nautique and the fresh water hose is not connected to the motor and is laying just under the motor in the bilge. I was wondering where it should be connected and whats parts are missing.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2005 at 4:43pm
Gary and Brett:

Does the boat have an automatic valve that directs water from the fresh water fitting to the raw water pump and thus stop it from exiting the normal water intake? If not, I bet such a valve is available.

If no such valve available, then I would install a seacock near the normal water intake and then "T" off the line to the fresh water fitting. This way, just close the seacock before connecting and using the garden hose. CAUTION: do not forget to open the seacock before the next outing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic