Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1994 Rear Seat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mgswed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgswed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1994 Rear Seat
    Posted: April-26-2005 at 4:03pm
Hi, new to the forum. I think i posted this in the wrong place before but here goes. I was just wondering how much a rear seat for a 1994 ski nautique would cost. i am thinking about getting the skins made for it but i was quoted something around 1500 for the entire seat. Any help would be much appreciated.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2005 at 4:37pm
$1500? That's about what I paid for my boat. I had a seat made locally for my Mustang. I think I paid $350 and I like it. It would have cost less but I had the upolstry guy buy extra material so he can do my front seats too.

There is a thread on here somewhere showing some pretty nice home made back-seat constructions. If you are not the build-it-yourself type you should hunt up a couple of local upolstry shops and chat with them. Take a couple of pics off this forum with you to show him. That's my 2 cents.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2005 at 5:05pm
The really nice ones have the built-in storage, but still, there is NO WAY I could see paying $1500. They are all made of simple plywood frames, foam, and skins (extremely cheap - if you can do it yourself). I had to rebuild my back seat frame and I spent 100 times less than that (about $15 for plywood and SS nails). I re-used my skins.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2005 at 2:38pm
seats on a 94 wouldnt be made of wood, so theoretically the frames can be used again. keep looking, find someplace that wont charge so much for foam and skins.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2005 at 3:47pm
Like Darrel said, the '94 back seat is made of molded phenolic resin or something similiar (i.e. thick plastic). The seat backs are also wrapped around onto the gunnels. This feature alone will make it hard to duplicate with wood or by an upholstery shop. FWIW, $1500 seams like a resonable cost for a part purchase. It probably costs CC about $350.00 to manufacturer or have manufactured. CC probably adds 100% mark-up, then the dealer adds 100% mark-up. All of a sudden you are at $1500.00. Just my quesses, but given the design of the seat back, I really do not see an alternative if you want an integrated factory look.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2005 at 7:26pm
Sorry mgswed, I thought you wrote "1984". Disregard my previous post about plywood frames. David F is right, CC probably does want an arm and a leg for original plastic frame, foam, skins, and hardware.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2005 at 7:28pm
On the other hand, maybe you should consider installing the plywood frame. You'll probably get at least 10 or 15 years out of a well-built treated plywood frame. and you'll probably save huge $$$.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2005 at 12:05pm
Yea, thinking about it again, no harm in trying to making it out of wood. If you fail, you can then decide to purchase from CC. With a little ingenuity and determination, almost anything is possible.
mgswed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgswed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2005 at 11:41am
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to take some pics of the boat and bring it to someone local. I have been getting some quotes around the 1500's for the full set from other places across the country.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic