Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

stringers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
alsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stringers
    Posted: April-25-2005 at 1:08am
hi guys,
I have a 73 marauder. I'm replacing the stringers and wonder if anyone out there knows what wood was originally used.
Also, anybody that has replaced them , what wood did you use?
Thanks Al Syssa
fly hi
DJ 77 skier View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ 77 skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2005 at 5:22am
nnot sure what it had but use untreated wood for new stringers the resin will not bond to the treated wood
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2005 at 12:31pm
DJ:

Epoxy resin (no experience with polyester) will bond to treated wood IF the wood is properly "cured" before using. What I mean by properly cured is that the wood is left in the sun for several weeks to allow the wood to dry and evaporate off some of the chemicals that are at the surface. Once this has been done, the resin will penetrate and bond to treated wood.

However, it is tough to keep the treated wood straight during this process, so it might be wize to purchase several stringer candidates in the hope that one will stray sufficiently straight.

FWIW, I THINK that kiln dried Douglas Fir was originally used for the stringers. Not sure on this one, but I think if one were to read some of the brochures prior to '93, it may reference what type of wood is used.
alsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2005 at 2:45pm
DJ & DF
Thanks for your suggestions.
I think Doug fir (kiln dried) is the best
route to go. I will see if I can find some
scaffold grade Doug fir. Definitely will stay
away from "green or treated wood".
Haven't seen any ref. to type of stringer wood in cc brochures.
Thanks agn. Al Syssa     
fly hi
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2005 at 3:12pm
I found it...look in the 1990 brochure. It mentions kiln-dried Fir stringer sytem in the "new decade (2)" page. I guess I assumed the Douglas part.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2005 at 3:56pm
Alsy, how many layers and what kind of glass do you plan to use on the new stringers? Just curious because I have no idea of how to replace stringers.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
alsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2005 at 6:51pm
Hi Dave,
Sure nuf, your right on. The fir they are refering to must be douglas.
thanks agn
alsy
fly hi
alsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2005 at 6:57pm
Hi Jim,
Don,t know yet. Have to do a little research on that. Probably roving and biaxial. Removed about 500 lbs. of wet foam (my guess).
Alsy
fly hi
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic