Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1980 Distributor OEM Brand?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ken View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1980 Distributor OEM Brand?
    Posted: April-23-2005 at 1:23pm
Hi All,
After a terrible morning where nothing went right, I finally diagnosed a crack in the distributor cap in my 1980 SN with the std 351W. Can someone tell me what brand and or model replacement cap I need? I can add an image if it will help,
Thanks,
Ken
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2005 at 8:32pm
Your distributor is either a Prestolite or a Mallory. The Presto dist. wire going to the coil goes thru the housing of the dist in a moulded grommet(rubber). The Mallory has a threaded stud set in white plastic insultors that the wire going to the coil attaches to. The wire to the coil is the 16ga primary wire that attaches to the negative post of the coil.
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
swamp demon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swamp demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2005 at 2:46am
Get model,and type off of distributor.There should be a plate or tag with this info on the dist.
Then any good auto parts store should be able to help you. I know NAPA for sure can help if you have that info
scomer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scomer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2005 at 12:12am
Ken,
    when you go to the parts store, if you have a prestolite you'll need to tell them if you have a clip down or screw down type dist. cap.
SCOMER
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic