NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do motor mounts work?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do motor mounts work?
    Posted: April-20-2005 at 10:01pm
I suspect I may need to align my engine after I re-install my trans. It looks like the alignment is adjusted from the front mount. It looks like side-to-side adjustment is adjusted by loosening a clamp, circle A on the pic, and forcing the engine sideways, perhaps with a large pry-bar.

It looks like there is an upper and lower (not in view) slotted screw locked by a nut for up and down adjustment (circle B).

Large corrections may be made by selecting bolting holes in the bracket (circle C).

Have I got it right?

What do I do with the rear (trans) mount while all of this movement is taking place?

Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2005 at 12:45am
That setup is different than mine, but it looks like a really good one. You have LOTS of adjustment up-down-left-right, so you should be able to align without changing your rear mounts. My COMMANDER has adjustments on all four, but they are not as easy, nor will they move as far as yours.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2005 at 3:04am
If you pulled the trans., and not the engine, why would you have to adjust the engine mounts? If you reference mark the trans mounts, or better yet just take out the four bolts that attach the trans to the mount, you won't have to adjust anything.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2005 at 10:50am
Is this on your '66? Looks like you've got horizontal and vertical adjustments. Not the same mount as mine. Take that fram oil filter off and get a FL-1A. Does that ribbed hose have wire inside? If it does, when it gets very rusty take it off and hit it with a hammer and shake the pieces out and put it back on.
Tim D
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2005 at 12:43pm
Thanks Tim. I now know about the Fram - it will come off. That ribbed hose does not have wire in it. The last hose (the one that came on the boat from the previous owner) did and the wire rusted, broke up, and damaged my raw water pump. And you are looking at the left side motor mount of my '68. I didn't even suspect the mount was adjustable until I read some posts on this forum.
...and I am still not 100% sure if is - it just looks like it is.
I have not yet begun any work on my '66. The '66 just sits and I just stare at it.

Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2005 at 5:23pm
If there is no wire in that hose it may be a problem. That is a suction hose and under high rpm it may collapse from high suction. The engine alignment should be checked at the begining of very season and the alignment may change when the boat is on a trailer & in the water. The best time to check it is after the boat has been in the water for a day ot two(I know thats hard when you trailer all the time). I hang my boat in a boat house then checj the alignment. The specs should br .003" vertical & horizontal.
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic