NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

flipping the circuit breaker

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: flipping the circuit breaker
    Posted: July-21-2009 at 1:10am
I have an 83 SN with 351W. Problem started with small miss coming out of the hole and cruising. It got worse and finally died. I checked the breaker in rear of engine and it was flipped. Reset it and got it started but ran terrible. I was towed in.
Next day while in lift, I tried to start and starter would engage and stay engaged. I have a new battery with good charge. I have since replaced starter and solenoid. Same thing. I replaced battery cables, resister, coil and checked wires attached to ignition switch and fuse. I could tap on solenoid and get it unstuck but soon as I hit key, starter would engage and stick and keep turning over. I put another solenoid on and finally got starter to work correctly.
Boat fired right up. Runs perfect on lift. Still has miss while cruising. Put new set of points and condenser and it ran great for about 10 minutes. Boat died. I checked the circuit breaker and it was flipped. Limped back home.
I ordered a new circuit breaker today and another set of points.
Any other ideas guys? Sorry for the novel.

83Ski
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 12:35am
I was poking around today with the wiring harness. I discovered that I did not have the ground wire going to the alternator. Would that cause problems?
83Ski
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic