Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WOW BOAT TRAILER TIRES!!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bradley950 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradley950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WOW BOAT TRAILER TIRES!!
    Posted: April-11-2005 at 12:14am
Ok went to the lake and things were great. Got some board time in and did a little cruising. On the way home about 15 min into our trip. My right boat trailer tire exploded and at 65mph this can get really scary. God was really looking out for my friends and I today. This post was not for replies (but they are welcome) but to remind you all to check your tire pressure and look for any dry rot. Thease old boats are not replaceable. Everyone be safe and play hard!!! -Brad-
Brad Miller
bradley950@yahoo.com
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2005 at 3:29am
Were your tires really trailer tires? I have passenger car tires on mine currently and I am scared to death evrytime I tow it.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2005 at 12:38pm
Brad:

I know what you mean. I used to use car tires (not that you do) until the tread came off one of the tires while I was going about 65mph. The tread bent the fender as it came off and made a heck of a noise. Luckily for me, the tire held pressure (minus the tread) and I was able to get to a tire store. I have been running Goodyear trailer tires (forget the name) ever since. In the winter, I cover the tires to prevent the sun from damaging the tires (dry rot). Glad you came out unscathed and thanks for the reminder to all.
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2005 at 5:08pm
BF goodrich makes some nice trailer tires too.
That is what I have on my 1988 Ski Nautique trailer , They tow great .
Mike
Bhedbloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bhedbloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2005 at 8:26pm
Bradley,

Good Reminder for everyone !!! I had the same thing happen to me on my 1970 Mustang. When I purchased the boat the trailer had radial car tires. They are not made for towing, and I learned that the hard way. I didn't think anything about it until one summer day an hour away from home running 65-70 MPH I heard a huge boom behind me and in the rearview saw the whole tred fly up 50 feet or so behind the the truck. Thank goodness for spare tires and Large SUV's.

The moral of the story: ALWAYS USE PROPER EQUIPMENT, and DON'T IGNORE TRAILER MAINTENANCE !!!

Happy Boating
Barry, South Carolina
Bradley950 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradley950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2005 at 4:36pm
Yes my tires were light truck tires. The side walls were not 6ply like they needed to be. Thats why it blew. I have also learned this rough lesson. Use the right equipment!!!
-Brad-

Please don't use car tires, this was a very rough explsion. If I had not of been towing with an suv I would of lost control!!!!!!!!!
Brad Miller
bradley950@yahoo.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic