Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

STEERING &RUDDERl

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
d killough View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d killough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: STEERING &RUDDERl
    Posted: April-05-2005 at 4:09pm
Last year I greased behind the steering wheel where the steering cable hooks on to see if that would help the tightiness in the steering and it did to somewhat effect. This year when I put the boat back in the water turning the steering wheel at low speeds was like turning a barge around. Is there any way to correct this problem. It is a '95 closed bow ski nautique.
SKI DADDY
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2005 at 5:00pm
disconnect the steering cable from the tiller arm on the rudder. then see if the steering loosens up. Will help determine where in the system your problem is.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d killough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2005 at 5:30pm
mrese, How do I disconnect the steering cable from the tiller arm? Is there a grease fitting somewhere on the rutter?
SKI DADDY
tdkosta View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdkosta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2005 at 6:01pm
There should be a bolt and lock nut on the end of the arm that is connected to the rudder. Disconnect the steering cable from the arm. Check the steering wheel for stiffness. If it is stiff, the cable most likely needs to be replaced. Also move the rudder. If it is stiff, then it needs to be repacked.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d killough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2005 at 4:40am
How do I get to the rutter? From the bottom of the boat, or do I have to pull up the carpet and go from the inside of the boat?
SKI DADDY
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2005 at 9:08am
Not sure on a 95' but on my 88' you'll need to pull up the rear seat and detach the engine cover from the hinge point then pull up the floor. The attach point for the rudder is under the fuel tank. You'll need a pair of pliers to cut the saftey wire then remove the bolt then arm.
You'll have to remove the prop/rudder guard from the trailer first before removing the rudder.(clearance problem) I'd get some foam or cardboard to support the rudder in place first before doing the fore mentioned or you may have to blend nicks out of the rudder as it slides out of the hole. I'd check the rope seal to see if it needs replacing. Pretty easy job just take it slow and pay attention. If memory serves it's all idiot proof.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2005 at 6:38am
Nothing is idiot proof to the most competent idiot. You shouldn't have to support the rudder if you only disconnect the steering cable. If you remove the tiller arm, the locking nut and the gland nut, you will need to ensure the rudder doesn't fall. You will have to get at the rudder assembly from the inside of the boat. If you do remove the rudder, be sure to clean out the old wax from the shaft and the thru hull hole.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic