Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

primering and re-painting a ski nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
McBride View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McBride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: primering and re-painting a ski nautique
    Posted: March-29-2005 at 3:58pm
I have completely sanded the gel coat and paint off of the boat. I fixed a few deep scratches with bondo and now the boat is ready for primer. What products would you recommend for primering and painting. Will quality auto paints work? I have been told by some that I will have to gel coat. and I have also been told that a normal base coat clear coat will work. Thanks in advance.

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2005 at 5:25pm
Most people choose a catalyzed paint such as Imron by Dupont. Not sure how well an automotive paint will hold up.
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2005 at 7:51pm
We used Awl Grip but only use that if your boat's going to be stored on a boat lift and not in the water for an extended amount of time.
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
jschallick View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jschallick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2005 at 10:28pm
as far as your bodywork goes,if you are not sure if you want to re-gelcoat or just primer, evercoat makes a cross between primer and gelcoat, it is called slick-sand.corvette restoration shops swear by this product.it fills like gelcoat and it sands like primer. i have used it and strongly recommend it. as far as paint goes,i recommend imron if you are repainting the entire boat. it is durable and it lays nicely if sprayed by a good painter.
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2005 at 8:57am
Just finished a '78 nautique. I used the Awgrip system of base & fairing primers than finished with algrip 2000. The final finish is excellent. Any slight dust can be taken care of by wet sanding w/1500 and compounding after 4-5 days. Have also used PPG concept with good success.If you use PPG make sure you sand & compound 24-48 hours.
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic