Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TRANS PROBLEMS

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bradley950 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradley950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRANS PROBLEMS
    Posted: March-08-2005 at 3:21am
I have been experiancing trans problems. The end of last summer the front main seal blew and I replaced it. Two weeks ago I went out for a test ride and all day every thing worked pefect. Just before leaving the trans suddenly stopped pulling. There was no fluid loss anywhere the trans just quit pumping. Today I pulled the trans agian to find a huge mess. Medal shavings every where. Inside the the gear was rubbing on the front cover ;it machined off about a 1/4 inch inside the cover. I have no idea why, its like the gear moved forward or the trans presure was on the front cover. I can send pics to someone with answers or maybe you just want to see. ANY IDEAS????? -Brad-
Brad Miller
bradley950@yahoo.com
Tribal150 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tribal150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2005 at 10:40am
I don't know where you are located but you could try Fantastic finishes marine, they specialize in trannies, they quoted me 650 for an exchange for a rebuilt tranny, they are located in medina ohio, and their phone number is: (877) 369-6693. Ask for Eric.

Rob
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2005 at 12:56pm
Brad:

Man that sounds bad. Many times when a seal goes, it is a sign of problems. I think you realized the problem that caused the initial seal failure. Sounds to me like a retaining clip or bearing let loose. With the damage you describe, it may be cheaper to purchase a complete rebuilt unit than buy all the parts need to fix the one you have. Good luck.
Bradley950 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradley950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2005 at 3:10pm
Yea David, I will be better off getting a new one.

I have a friend who has the same 71c trans that he offered to give me. The only thing is, it is set up for left hand rotation motor. Is this somthing I can get changed??
If not I will have to spend some Serious Money. Help Please -Brad-
Brad Miller
bradley950@yahoo.com
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2005 at 3:51pm
Transmission rotation can definitely be changed. I've never done it, but I understand it's pretty simple. I think the manuals in the reference section tell how.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2005 at 4:18pm
Yep, I think it has something to do with the oil pump like turning it over or something similiar. Neve done it, just heard, but yes definately doable especially for the Borg Warner Velvet Drive which I assume you have.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2005 at 4:41pm
TRANSMISSION ROTATION..
all velvet drives execpt the 2.10:1 in-line and the cr2 can be used for either rotation.all you have to do is index the pump [ flip it over ] to your engine rotation.just like daved just said .download the velvet drive manual it's real simple. i did this on one of my boats.
kenny g
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic