Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Removal of Painted Stipes on ’82

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removal of Painted Stipes on ’82
    Posted: March-01-2005 at 12:46am
I've searched all of the old posts, but still need some detailed instruction on how to remove the painted stripes off my 82'tique.
I've read a variety of ways to get the stripes off (including oven cleaner?). My hope is to remove the stripes myself and then be knowledgable enough about the process to not get ripped off by whoever I find to repaint it.(can any body/paintshop do the work?) Or can they be painted over? I'm pretty clueless.

I need to know what materials,tools,and approximately how many six packs of beer that I will need.

I have traced the original lettering off the side and had a local sign company scan and print decals for the side.

As always...any help is greatly appreciated.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2005 at 11:42am
I believe that you will have to sand the lettering off since it is painted on. If you are going to repaint it then litely sand it and paint over it.
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2005 at 3:05pm
I am not an expert on this, but planned on doing this to my 82 nautique.

I would think the best way, would be to wet sand the stripes, starting with a lower grit and working your way up to a higher grit. You dont want to sand too much, or you will start working your way through the get coat and use lots of water. I have heard even use a little soap in the bucket that you are wetting the boat with.

You would then need to polish the boat to remove the smaller scratches from the last sanding grit.

To paint it, you need to use a brand like dupront imron, or awlgrip. They are very, very durable paints. Then mask out your stripe and paint it. I am guessing you just want to do one color, as opposed the tricolor scheme.

I am going to do the same thing, once it warms up. So let me know how it turns out for you.
captan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2005 at 10:43pm
My plan was to remove the paint and have graphics made up, what changed my mind to repaint was the hull on my 78 Ski Nautique is almost white under the paint, not matching the rest of the faded hull, I don't think anything will bring the hull back to it's day 1 color. I can stand back and see the white under the stripes. Getting graphics to exact size to cover the old stuff might be impossible; I'm looking for some lettering guy to paint over the graphics. BTW west marine sells a paint remover for boat names, it takes it off but with a lot of effort and I’m talking by the inch.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2005 at 3:34pm
The origanal paint is rustoleum industrial enamel paint and is very thick and comes in 1 gal or 5 gallons buckets only. It can only be bought at industrial supply houses if you want to use what correct craft did.

The stripes are the easiest to do the lettering is the hard part. All you have to do is litely wet sand the stripes with 800 grit and paint over it. The paint can be thinned by up to 20% with mineral spirits and applied with a brush, roller or spray gun. Been there done this last year. Makes a world of difference in looks.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2005 at 4:14pm
i agree 79..but instead of wet sanding use a medium grit compound with a buffer.ETCH the surface to be repainted . clean it with prep-sol .then repaint.once the paint cures ,go over the area with a polishing compound and LIGHTLY buff.don't burn the new paint.or you could polish it by hand.
kenny g
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2005 at 2:47am
Kenny g, what do you mean by etch the surface to be painted.

Also if I went ahead and remove the stripes, would I still clearly see the part the reads "Ski Nautique" and the "Correct Craft Competition Ski Boat" on the Back.

Meaning, could I remove the stripes and then tape those areas out again, so when I repainted, I had the original look. thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2005 at 10:44am
Jason,

I wouldn't try to repaint the lettering on the transom. Give Keith a call and get hooked up with the graphics shop we used last year to have it made in vinyl it looks exactly like the orginal. If you sand the lettering or even the stripes completely off there won't be enough contrast to know where to mask off. You just want to etch the surface so that the new paint adheres well to the gel coat.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2005 at 12:34pm
JASON.the stern decals 79 is talking about ::
intricate lines.com
30 washington st
natick,ma 01760
508-651-2468

i think we paid about 50 bucks per set.
i would get the decals 1st,then use them to custom color match the paint for your stripes.
kenny g
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2005 at 2:55pm
Good suggestion Kenny G

I think I paid around 100 bucks for the custom color but I had mine already painted by the time we got around to makeing the vinyl.
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2005 at 5:25pm
Jason-

I think everyone is confusing the paint work on an 82 (2001 model) with that of an '81 and earlier. The stripes on your boat have the white lettered words 'ski nautique' and 'competition ski boat' relief cut into the paint. In other words, the white that you see is the same as the white that you see on the other parts of the hull.
The easiest way to replicate the graphics is to get yourself some butcher paper, trace the graphics, and then take them to a sign shop to be scanned and cut out as white decals (or whatever color you want).
I'm replacing the three stripes with one single color, and then applying only the word 'nautique' as originally seen on the sides.
Thanks to all for the help, I'll be wet sanding the brown stripes off this weekend.

Jason...good luck, where is your boat?
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2005 at 5:42pm
I am Kansas, my boat lives here until May and we have a home on table rock for the summer.

My "Ski Nautique" is the color of the hull, it was never painted. It is actually pretty defined right now, so I thought about having someone that is good with tape to mask it out.

Then carefully wetsand the rest and repaint from there. It sounds like we are working on the same boat.

I just sent the vinyl to get reulphostered and have the floor ripped up right now, replacing a few soft spots. Then, new carpet, a tower, and hopefully paint.

82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2005 at 7:47pm
Jason-

Im in Tennessee. Weather is finally starting to turn spring like.

Good thinking with the taping, I think that will work well.

I'm right there with you, upholstery was sent out yesterday. New floor (behind engine) was replaced w/ 3/4inch pressurized plywood. New carpet (bought at home depot for cheap! $3.50/yd.) still needs to be installed. Paint will be taken care of by a local guy here after I prep it.

Installed a monster tower last summer, and thinking of replacing rear seats w/hidden fat sacs.

Lookin forward to a good season.

1time17 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1time17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2005 at 8:49pm
i beleive youll have to sand them off. im in the process of getting my 84 painted right now. with them fixing all the gell coat spider webs and touch up it is costing me few $$ but its worth it being done by a professional and all he does is ski boats he owns nautique so i gave him a little more trust, he also showed me all the photos of boats hes done. so i cant wait till april 23 to show it off.
gotta love those old school nautiques
custom2001
80 Nauts View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80 Nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2005 at 6:47am
A fiberglass boat repair shop told me to use acetone, but I have not tried it yet.

Does a vinyl decal work for the lettering? I know it works great above the water line but I am not sure about below.
woodyelc View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2005 at 10:05pm
yes you were told right about the oven cleaner.have done more than a few that way. you have to be careful with the old boats c.c. did not use a lot of gel coat when they built them. very easy to sand thru and then it's a pain to fix. what we do is paint a stripe the same as what was there and use later model decals. c.c use did rustolem paint. call me and i can give you the paint code. you can get most all the paint in quarts. 407-851-1965 hope i have been helpfull. ride safe
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2005 at 9:33pm
Holy cow...the oven cleaner is amazing, spray it on give it a minute, wipe off the old paint.

Thanks for the help.
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2005 at 11:05pm
82tique, was the area under the paint a different color than the rest of the gelcoat. ie. was it a lot brighter white or was it the same?

Can you visually tell the area where you removed the paint?

What are you going to do to prep for paint? and how much is it costing to get it painted?

thanks
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2005 at 1:36am
Just started on the transom after work, so I'll know more tomorrow.

The oven cleaner wipes the paint clean off the boat with zero elbow grease.

There is slight discoloration where the old stripes were.

I've been thinking that I'm going to try your taping idea. So the fade marks will make a great template for taping around.

Plan on lightly wet sanding the area to be painted w/ 600grit.

As far as painting goes....I'm kicking around the idea of doing it myself...otherwise it should be pretty cheap ( around 300 bucks for one color)
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2005 at 6:22pm
82tique

Please post some updates when you get working on the sides.

I am not ready to start working on the outside yet, I just put a new floor in and I am working on fiberglassing, sanding, and the engine.

thanks
Jason
Brian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2005 at 2:20pm
Be careful with the oven cleaner. I used this on a previous boat and softened the finish and it dulled. I believe it had something to do with a cheap boat (not a CC!) but have still been afraid to use it ever since.
Brian
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2005 at 4:41pm
82tique, post your results on using the oven cleaner on the entire boat.

Looking to do my very soon.

thanks
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2005 at 11:00pm
Jason-

Ovencleaner worked awesome. It took two cans for the whole boat. Spray it on, let it set for at least 30 minutes. Go back and remove with a scraper.(I used my plastic Petco membership card. )
Here's my other discovery (purely by accident), Go to home depot and get some 'iron out'
(check out the forum called: 'gas stains'for iron out info)
Have a bucketfull handy for washing off the residue of the old paint.

It will also clean the residual oven cleaner off the hull preventing the oven cleaner from leaving a yellow residue on the boat(like somebody warned me about). Make sure the water is warm, and really slop it on with a good scrubbing sponge. then spray it off. (this will also really brighten the hull of the boat)

Now I'm trying to remove the old plastic pinstripes. Any ideas?
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2005 at 2:30am
Hows it going with the paint job. What did the boat look like after you got all the old paint off? Was there a noticeable difference where the stripe was and wasnt?

Thanks, getting ready to tackle this myself, soon.

Jason
holeshot View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holeshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2005 at 2:53am
first off ou will be there for every try ing to "wety sand" that paint off . because the original paint is some hard stuff . i use bix orginal stripper to get started and then scrapped the paint off . then all ihad left was a litttle bit of paint to sand off . i had custom decals made stripe , letterig and all in one big piece .
just had to put it on whitch was so easy .
Jason View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2005 at 4:37am
Holeshot

What did that cost and how did it turn out?

thanks
Jason
Neal View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2005 at 12:54am
I wish I had this forum before. I also just did the Easy Off oven cleaner and if worked beautifully. With a little elbow grease and some buffing compound (nothing too gritty), the color came back but you can still plainly see where the stripes and "Ski Nautique" were. I chickened out and took it to the dealer here locally. He has a stencil that he puts one and paints it back. Of course I have some gel coat repairs I needed to do also.
I'm waiting until next winter to do the floor and carpet...I don't want to miss this season. My kids would kill me!
Lil’Nauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lil’Nauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2022 at 12:38pm
Hi. Can I please have the Rustoleum paint code for my 1982 SN 2001? I am going to remove my badly faded/damaged paint and want to know what type of Rustoleum paint I can purchase and use to repaint it myself. Will buy SN decals and Correct Craft decals to install after I repaint. How many coats of paint do I need to plan on using? how long to dry between coats??
1982 Ski Nautique 2001
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2022 at 1:15pm
I recently refinished an '82. In this case I took the hull down to completely bare, This meant sanding off the painted-on stripes. Then repainted, etc. Note that all the side and stern lettering is actually the gelcoat finish 'masked' over to prevent painting there. After paint, the masks are peeled off to reveal the gelcoat.
The paint I used is Rustoleum spray cans. I changed the three colors slightly to my taste, and followed the Rustoleum instructions. I'm sure the original color codes can be found on this site. (although not sure that all of the original colors are still available).
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic