NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

boss 302???

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Metallman56 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metallman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: boss 302???
    Posted: February-23-2005 at 7:22pm
hello
my father recently gave me his 71' correct craft. were not currently speaking but he swore to me that it had a boss 302 instead of a regular 302. he said that ford shorted haulmen-moody like 30 (just a guess i have no idea) engines at the end of the year. when all was said and done ford gave 30 boss 302s instead of the regular engines. he found this out a few years ago when he rebuilt the engine. he went to replace the bearings when no 302 bearing would fit. he started calling some of his assoiciates and traced this information back to hallmen-moody. if this is correct then no regular 1971 correct craft engine manuals will work because its not the regular engine.
also are the engine heads and roller rockers some sort of special marine parts or can i just go to edlebrock to get new heads. please e-mail me back if anyone knows anything about either of these questions.
Metallman56@yahoo.com
thanks
metallman56
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2005 at 12:23pm
I've never heard of a Correct Craft having a Boss 302 engine, but I can't say that it's not possible.

Boss 302's are quite different than a standard 302, I know the heads and intake manifolds are not interchangeable. The heads and rocker arms will not be marine specific, but they will be Boss 302 specific. A friend of mine told me that the Boss heads have the valves rotated (not all in a line like a normal 302). Also the ports are much bigger. If you want to know exactly what all is different about a Boss engine there are books out there.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2005 at 1:08pm
Like AWhite70 sez...
Yes, the heads are essentially 351C 4V heads.
Block has 3/5 webs were 4 bolt mains, different rods (Beafy, but 289's length), and mechanical cam.

Original pistons were prone to cracked skirts, but aftermarket cured that. Regular 302 pistons will not work.

If it is a boss, I would NOT get new aftermarket heads, they were what made it so special.

Its 10.5 compression will need very good gas to run without detonation. Perhaps the CR was already reduced?

To confirm; How many bolts on the valve covers? 6 or 8?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metallman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2005 at 10:55pm
i believe 6 bolts on the valve covers. why does that matter?
by the way thanks for responding!
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2005 at 1:06am
302 uses 6 valve cover bolts (also 289, 351W)

302 Boss uses 8 valve cover bolts (also 351C, 351M 400)
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2005 at 9:41am
Sounds like it was never a boss, or somebody swapped heads, intake and exhaust long ago...

Last check, are the freeze plugs thin brass or steel caps pressed in like a typical engine, or solid, threadded plugs?
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2005 at 12:43pm
I've seen Mustangs at White Lake with Hollman & Moody engines in them.
Tim D
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metallman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2005 at 10:34pm
Gottaski what are you talking about? what are freeze plugs and are they hard to see, and how are they pressed in like a typical engine? sorry for being stupid but this is all new to me.
thanks

jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2005 at 10:52pm
If you look at the sides of your engine block you will see several round plugs over 1 inch in diameter (probably painted over when the engine was painted). Standard freeze plugs are either steel or brass and are pressed into the side of the block (most of us just tap them in with a hammer). The theory is that if the water in your block freezes, it will expand and pop the freeze plugs out and hopefully avoid cracking your block.

Gotta Ski is asking if yours are standard (pressed in) or if they are threaded and screwed in.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metallman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2005 at 11:16pm
ah, ok well then i have no idea and i'll have to check that after i get the boat out of storage. that wont be any time soon though, we just got hit with 16" of snow and drifts up to my waiste, i'm 6'. so dont hold your breeth. also if the engine isnt a boss, then can i put some new heads on it? i have a feeling that theres a rocker not working the port side of the engine and while im in there i might as well give it some more horsepower. speaking of which is there any legal ways to give a boat more horsepower? when i say legal i mean does every engine part have to be "marine" or can i order normal stuff out of like the Summit catalog?
thanks to all
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metallman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2005 at 1:39am
ok i checked the side of the block over the weekend. i didnt know what i was looking for exactly but it appers that ALL of the bolts on the side or infact threaded.i wasnt about to take a wrench to any of them but i'm pretty sure i was looking right at them. i also took some pis of the engine and if i can figure out how to post them i will do that as well. y'all have been alot of help so far. thanks
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metallman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2005 at 3:23am
i have been having some rattling noise come from under one of my valve covers. long story short i need a new oil pump. while i had the cover off i noticed a number stampt to the heads "351". the valve covers do only have 6 bolt, but the heads ARE 351. these heads have never been replaced. ever. so now i am starting to think that it is a boss.
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2005 at 12:32pm
If the valve covers only have 6 bolts then it's not a boss 302.

351W heads can be bolted to a 302. More than likely that is what is on your engine. At times they may have even been used from the factory, I don't know.

If you take a few pictures of your engine and post them or email them that would clear this topic up for good.
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2005 at 12:58pm
Now that your going to do some internal engine work to that engine, please let us here know if in fact its a Boss. I would belive it is unlikly it a "Boss" engine. The Boss was a VERY limited piece from ford and full of limited production parts. On a side note, it appears that EVERYONE with a smallblock ford in a correct craft seems to think Hollman-moody built it. While it's so there are some out here, Hollman-moddy's core was nascar... I don't think they had the time or people to build all the engings out there!
http://www.holmanmoody.com/
NO LONGER A MEMBER
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metallman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2005 at 9:45pm
for some reason it will not let me load the pic onto the website, so if anyone wants to give me there e-mail i can send them to you. my e-mail is the same as my screen name @yahoo.com. unless there was another msnufacture that stanped a "hm" to the driver side of the exhaust manifold then i am pretty sure it is hollman-mody. will the firing order help solve this mystery?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2005 at 10:01pm
Hey Metallman.

Did you by chance check out the 1971 brochure
in the reference section of this site. Only
4 pages posted, but it does show that a 351
cubic inch Holman Moody was one of six engine
options.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2005 at 9:10pm
E mail me the pics at tp32174@yahoo.com and i will post them for you.
ultrahots View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrahots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2005 at 4:27am
Not a Boss 302 but Hm parts on it.Here is your pics.Sorry for the delay.

AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2005 at 12:31pm
Looks to be a Windsor engine to me. I can't tell from the pics if it's a 302 or 351
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2005 at 12:47pm
Narrow intake and low deck suggest 302. nothing remarkable there. Hate to break this to you, but your dad's a BSer.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2005 at 2:35pm
My guess that it might be a newer than a '71 model engine. The intake has the EGR mounting boss (no pun!) cast into it, Although it was never put on a marine engine,I think it was the late 70's middle 80's before the EGR came onto the automotive sene. .... But That's no Boss 302!
NO LONGER A MEMBER
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2005 at 8:00pm
It's hard to tell from the pictures but that looks to be a 12 bolt intake manifold. Wouldn't an original '71 have been a 16 bolt? I believe they switched from 16 to 12 sometime in the mid to late 70's
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metallman56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2005 at 3:26am
thats not all the pics. perhapes all of them would help. also to all of those who said it looked like a reg 302, why the hell does it have 351 heads? please dont make me take off the valve covers to show you guys the clearly stamped "351" that sounded kinda crapy, sorry its been a long frusterating day. in 2 weeks, when i take out the oil pump, i wll see what else could help. i dont know alot if the major diifernces but i should be able to get part numbers off the rings and bearins, if there still on there. only time will tell.
thanks to all!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic