Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Steering

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
68 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering
    Posted: February-17-2005 at 11:55pm
I have a 68 Mustang the steering is very hard to turn. It still works is there anway to rebuild this or do I need to replace it? Also how do you tell if your stringers are bad. Our boat is always on a lift so the only time it is in the water is when in use. It is always stored inside for the winter so it is dry. One time I lent it to my brother-in-law and it was in the water for about a month and it did list to the starboard side. But after a winter in sto.rage it was fine.I did see the postings about that so I now understand what happend. We have had this boat for about 13 years. Thanks Greg
68 Mustang
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2005 at 10:26am
The steering problem sounds like the cable. Disconnect the cable from the helm gear box and see if it frees up. The cable and all other Teleflex steering/helm parts are available through the SkiDIM link at the top of this page, or through any marine supplier.

You'll know your stringers have rot if you can't tighten your engine & transmission mount lag bolts.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
68 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2005 at 10:41am
Got the boat out of winter storage. I disconnected the cable from the steering wheel, lets say I backed the nuts off the wheel and it turns with ease. My First question is if I keep turning the wheel the cable will turn out of the gear part of the steering. Is this the correct way to go about this?
My second question is which way do you pull the cable out? From the rudder back? or out the bow? The foam sprayed in the bow seams to hinder the easy movement of the cable not to mention the big nuts on each end of the cable. You could just man handle the cable threw but all the electial runs in the same chase. Whats anyones thoughs on what to hook to the cable as a fish tape. I'm not sure If fish tape is the way to go maybe rolmex wire. I pulled the floor pan out thinking the bildge would run all the way to the bow but it does not. On the mustang the cable makes a big turn and goes into a pile of sprayed in foam in the center of the bow and runs striaght back to the rudder.

68 Mustang
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2005 at 2:33pm
question # 1,see the teleflex steering control systems we put in the reference section.this should help.
# 2,pull the cable out to stern with the new cable attached to it ,tape them together.tight.use wire lube or liquid dish soap.you will have to dig out some of the foam in front of the kick plate.if u look in the bilge area at the wire & steering cable chase,you'll see they both run thru a 3"flex hose up under the steering helm.dig out that foam till u see that flex hose/wire chase.have someone hold onto the wires as u pull and just work it thru the chase.

if ya get that new cable hung up just pour a little budweiser down the hole,it'll go.
kenny g
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2005 at 11:25am
The steering is fixed! Got all the parts from skidim it took about 45 min. You can turn the wheel with your finger. The new cable has a quick diconnect nut that goes on the helm so the cable is nice and smooth and went threw the floor without much problem. I taped it to the old cable and pulled it threw. Make sure you unscrew the housing by the rubber before disconnecting it from the cable block. I did this and had to put it all back together to do so. Thanks for all the help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic