NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"the garage of knowledge"

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "the garage of knowledge"
    Posted: October-22-2008 at 9:19pm
I've been seeing the Craftsman TV ads lately for their Cross Force wrench. They are stating that they develop more torque and for more information to go to their web site (garageofknowledge.com). Intrigued, I took a look. I was hoping that they sent some kind of miracle drug with the wrench's so I could give my skinny arms a much needed boost!! Well, all I could find was a reference to the "innovative design" allowing for more leverage. I suppose if the wrench is 1/8" longer than others then they can make the claim that they produce more torque. I wonder what hype the marketing people could come up with for their screwdrivers!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Dave D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 9:34pm
I bet their marketing department could sway the election, LOL!! That's hilarious. My brother in Galveston lost a huge pile of tools to Hurricane Ike several weeks ago and luckily his insurance company is going to pay to replace them. I asked him if any of the tools were Craftsman and told him that he could just bring them back to Sears to swap out for brand new stuff. He says they don't have that policy anymore. I was shocked to say the least. I guess they were loosing money and needed to save some to pay their crackerjack marketing folks...
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 9:43pm
I like Bahco's, pretty expensive though.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 12:19am
Darn...with this title I thought I might be able to go to this place, learn a bit, and grow up to be like Pete.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Brady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 9:18am
sorry john, that molds been broken!
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Dave D. Dave D. wrote:

I bet their marketing department could sway the election, LOL!! That's hilarious. My brother in Galveston lost a huge pile of tools to Hurricane Ike several weeks ago and luckily his insurance company is going to pay to replace them. I asked him if any of the tools were Craftsman and told him that he could just bring them back to Sears to swap out for brand new stuff. He says they don't have that policy anymore. I was shocked to say the least. I guess they were loosing money and needed to save some to pay their crackerjack marketing folks...

Really? I just exchanged a tool about a month ago, no problem. It must have happened recently. I thought the ads were still claiming "gauranteed for life" as well?
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

I like Bahco's, pretty expensive though.

Over here we have FACOM... expensive, yes, but lifetime guarantee, no questions asked.

For powered tools: HILTI, same policy.
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 7:59pm
Kris, do you mean fukum?
"the things you own will start to own you"
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 10:35pm
agreed Charlie...Pete is "one of a kind"....the guy with the best chance to grow up to be like Pete is Tim B.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2008 at 10:08am
Pete, out of all the re-invented wrenches i grab for, its always the 90 degree swivel gear wrenches made by gear wrench, if i need more torque I'll put the box end on the open end and double the length
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2008 at 10:31am
Sounds to me like a 'cross force' wrench is working against itself before it's ever picked up?!!? LOL

For the screwdriver, they could advertise a left handed torque curve and a color engineered-mood enhancing textured handle proven to promote feelings of harmony and good will through the worst of busted knuckles.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2008 at 11:27am
Pete,

Like your joke about the wrench, I was going to say, their "improved" screwdriver would be one with an added 1/16" to the handle diameter (so they could claim "more gripping surface" for your hand)!   BUT I think I like Buffalo BFN's "improved screwdriver" better!

It all reminds me of the other day, I was at one of these "elcheapo" tool isles at a bargain store here called Ollie's (anybody know Ollie's?) and I needed a pair of small channel locks so I picked up these cheap ones that had rather "girly looking" (oh now I'm in trouble) purple rubber coated handles. I figured I'd get them anyway (even though they were all purply) because they were real cheap when my wife pointed out that they were in a whole section of tools with purple rubberized handles actually made specifically for women called "Chicks can Fix."

I got a kick out of that. Did I buy them anyway? Sure, they were cheap!

Of course they keep disappearing from my tool box...
Inboards Rule!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2008 at 10:12am
Originally posted by 64X55 64X55 wrote:

my wife pointed out that they were in a whole section of tools with purple rubberized handles actually made specifically for women called "Chicks can Fix."

Of course they keep disappearing from my tool box...

Craig,
Are you saying Chrissy keeps using your tools? Maybe she could get out in the boatport and help you put the X back together!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2008 at 7:21pm
That's a good idea...

...I'll suggest that!
Inboards Rule!
OM45GE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OM45GE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2008 at 10:02am
I've been using SK tools for over 30 years. One of my older ratchets wore out this spring and they replaced it no questions asked. It wasn't as convenient as the Snap On type trucks as I had to wait for the rep to come to the store, but I'm still happy.
1989 SN 2001
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2008 at 11:21am
The last time I took a (used up) Craftsman ratchet to Sears (probably 10 years ago now), they still replaced it (back then), but the replacement had a plastic piece where there had been a metal piece on the old one. Not that that's always a bad thing I guess (plastic vs metal) but it seemed like an indication that they were sort of cheapening things up even then rather than "replacing what you had."
Inboards Rule!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2008 at 11:40am
OM, I like the sk rachets, they have a good feel to them
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2008 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Kris, do you mean fukum?

Eric, good to know some things will never change in this world, like for example your witty replies...
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2008 at 7:04pm
No guys like eric in Belguim?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

No guys like eric in Belguim?

Of course John... I'm one of them LOL

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2008 at 3:26am
no surprise there. I've seen the tub shots.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic