NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1958 Scott?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1958 Scott?
    Posted: September-30-2008 at 7:54pm
I was out on the St. Johns River down by Trout Creek and a saw this cool old boat. As we idled down the no wake zone we got to talking. Turns out This Grandfather/Grandson combo had just finished restoring this 1958 Scott. They were out on their maiden voyage. Everything was going great they said, except the engine needed better tuning. I thought some people here would be interesting in seeing it. I did some research and it seems there is not much info on this boat. Maybe the boat is not a Scott, but the outboard is for sure. It is kind of hard to read the script on the side of the boat.

Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2008 at 8:02pm
Very cool. FINS should be able to shed some light on this fiberglassic.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 12:17am
Very cool looking boat.BTW how is the Sport running after all the work? Hope you've been enjoying it. We are gonna meet up with Mojo this weekend so we will get some info about our Florida Reunion. So stay tuned. He promises us some info on how to get started. You still in?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
OM45GE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OM45GE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 10:19am
Doesn't it say "Swift" on the boat, not "Scott". Don't try Googling Swift Boat - all you'll get is references to the Viet Nam era patrol boats. I did find one mention of a Swift Boat Company that made fiberglass race boats and a Craig's listing for a kit boat but nothing else.

http://www.swiftboats.com/

http://plattsburgh.craigslist.org/boa/820805252.html

Sweet old boat though!
1989 SN 2001
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2008 at 10:37am
John-
Definetly still in for the FL reunion. The Sport is running great. We have not had a lot of time for it latly. Actually, Sunday was the first time we had been out in about a month! We just got back from two weeks in China and there was a week before and week after we did not use it.

Bill-
I actually tried Swift boat too, but as you said, all I got was Viet Nam stuff. I was kind of hoping someone on here would be able to fill us in. One of the classic boat guys should be along soon.
Boats:
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 3:02am
2 weeks in China..cool..biz or pleasure? Mojo was just there too. I have not used to '80 at all since Tennessee...but I do get out with Eddie about twice a week.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 12:13pm
I'm old enough to remember the day when most of the boats on the lake were in the 14-16 foot range, all outboards,some aluminums, some fiberglass, some wood (like ours) (see video clip below)

our first boats

They had the old inline mercs (Merc 500) or the huge v-4 evinrudes or Johnsons, and I remember a few scotts like above and even a Sears or two. Then the lake started to evolve into the 60s and 70s vintage fiberglass, mostly glastrons, a lot of trihulls and then v-hull bowriders both outboards and i/os. In the mid to late 60s there were two inboards on the lake, our 66 mustang and some friends had a 16' century. At the time the earlier small boats seemed quaint and outdated. Now (must be my age) I find myself looking back at them and realizing how cool it would be to have a few of them now.

FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 9:03pm
Could be wrong, but I think it is a Hydro-Swift. Cool looking boat! Those Scott motors are getting harder to find as well!
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
FINS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2008 at 9:50pm
The more I look at the pictures, the more I am unsure about the boat. Is it glass? Looks like it may just be a great restoration of a plywood hull. The glass boats with fins usually have alot more curves in them. Early manufacturers showing off what they could do with the new "plastic" boats. There is a line of "Swift" boats from Penn Yan, but they are smaller with a barrel stern. Regardless, it is still a cool boat!
59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2008 at 4:37pm
I was all for fun, John. I have a friend from high school and college that has been living there since '04. We have been trying to get over to see him since then, but have never had the time or money. With just a little of both, we decided we should go see him before he moves back. What a great time we had. Went to Shanghai and Beijing. Saw the Great Wall, Forbidden City, Olyimpic Green. Probably will never get the chance to go back, but I would recommend it to anyone. It will really change your opinion of this "communist" country.
Boats:
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 10:03am
for the good or bad Azeus?
"the things you own will start to own you"
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 10:53am
For the good, Eric. I went there expecting to see poverty and hunger and the sickle and hammer. But, I saw none of that. I did travel to some very poor villages, but they did not consider themselves poor. They had food and shelter and their family. They were in good spirits and were eager to talk to us. They have a very different idea of what poverty is over there. Just because you don't have a cell phone, HBO, and new car, you are not poor. On the other hand, we saw Rolls Royce, Ferrari, Mercedes, and Lamborgini dealerships in Shanghai and Beijing. Oh, and the big one BUICK. They were huge over there. Similar to Cadillac here.

I told my buddy that has been living there for 4 years, "Take out all the China men, and this place kind of reminds me of the US, just, like, 50 years behind."

Call is Communism, call it whatever you want, it is working for them right now.
Boats:
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2008 at 11:41am
and the reason?
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic