Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

will carb flow enough

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
grumpidad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: will carb flow enough
    Posted: August-27-2008 at 1:38am
I have seen pictures of the use of the 4160 carb being used after heads,cam,intake change on this site. Just wondering how well it works, haven't heard anyone really say much about the carb.I'm sure it would need some jetting done but has anyone heard of leaning out or just not having enough air flow to keep up with the other upgrades to motor.I am asking cause this will be my winter project and just want to make sure it will be ready as can be come the first warm day of spring.
grumpy88
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 3:58am
You really don't need to do anything to that 4160 to make it work once you have added better heads , cam and intake.

The carb will only throw as much fuel in as the motor needs.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

You really don't need to do anything to that 4160 to make it work once you have added better heads , cam and intake.

I wouldnt say thats an accurate statement. Depending on the mods, jetting changes may be necessary to ensure youre not running lean with the better flowing parts.

That being said, the stock carb size on these boats generally do not cause an issue with air restriction, even when adding top end mods (head/intake/cam). Check out this CFM calculator, and you'll notice that unless you plan to turn more than 5900 RPM, or you increase the displacement (stroker kit), then the stock sized 600cfm 4160 should be sufficient in supporting a 351w (even if you assume 100% volumetric efficiency, which is likely to be closer to 85-90%, realistically).

Im running the stock 600cfm 4160 (with slightly fatter jets) on my 351w with an upgraded top end, and I have no problem turning 5200rpm.
grumpidad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2008 at 4:34pm
Thanks alot for the info.
grumpy88
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic