Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need help installing bilge pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
curbsidegold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curbsidegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help installing bilge pump
    Posted: January-29-2004 at 2:06am
I am considering installing a bilge pump on my wood hull CC utility. Can the drain line out be tapped into the exhaust hose, or is it more advisable to drill though the hull above the waterline? Thanks.
sm
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2004 at 3:58am
i have never heard of tapping into the exhaust. you would need to loop the drain hose up to the deck (6" or so above the water line) and/or a check valve, but moi would just drill a hole. if a hose popped off you would sink.
it would not hurt to add a blower. i bring the hand pump as back up. just in case

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curbsidegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2004 at 10:43am
As sinking is not a desirable option, I'll take your advice. Thanks
sm
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2004 at 12:19pm
i would put a blower on also. mine blows out the chrome vent, so no extra hole. the pick up for the fan needs to be low in the bilge. gas fumes settle to the bottom.

if you don't want to drill a hole for the bilge outlet, you could just put a long hose on and throw it over the side when you need to pump.

the hull will eventually swell up and stop leaking, so they say. first run in the spring is always interesting.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curbsidegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2004 at 12:20am
Would you put blowers on both left and right vents, or would 1 blower do the trick?
sm
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2004 at 1:20am
newer boats only have 1. required by law i thought? granny law?
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2004 at 2:41am
just one blower with the suck hose run into the lowest point bilge area. dryer hose will work. same way it's plumbed in a nautique. you should be able to mount a 3" unit on the either side of the gas tank.

is your puke tube for the gas tank on the transom? you could get the same style fitting for the bilge pump. mine is just a 1/4" copper tube that is flared into the wood with a chrome clamshell cover.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curbsidegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2004 at 3:30am
Thanks for all the great info. I am not sure what you mean by a 'puke hole' for the gas tank. The tank, which is approx 12 gallon cylinder type, sits on a rafter directly behind the rear bench seat. There is a 1" screw type drain plug on the bottom, but no tube connection through the hull. There is a vent (approx 3" circle type)installed through the top of the stern directly above the tank.
sm
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2004 at 12:35pm
use the 3" vent hole for the bilge blower.

i should not have said puke hole. i meant your vent for your gas tank. i would copy that vents thru-hull fitting for your bilge pump outlet.

your tank will have a fill hole, line to the carb and a vent hole.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic