Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Neutal lock on throttle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Carl View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neutal lock on throttle
    Posted: January-22-2005 at 7:04pm
The neutral lock that holds the throttle lever in neutal position has worn to the point it is no longer necessary to disengage it to put the boat in gear. The boat is a 94 Ski Nautique.

There is a little steel lever that acts as a key to hold the throttle in neutal. The lever is worn and no longer extends into the slot on the throttle housing.

Are these little levers available from CC, or is it necessary to replace the entire throttle lever?

Thanks.
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2005 at 3:12am
my 88 doesnt have a lock at all. never did.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2005 at 10:13am
My '78 doesn't either. I think if I had a newer boat with a neutral lock I would find a way to remove it.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
mrese View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2005 at 12:24pm
My 89 has one but it is worn down as well.
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2005 at 7:44pm
When I bought my '02 the neutral lock had been defeated by removing the roll pin that holds the lock lever/key to the throttle lever. I replaced the pin and quickly found out I didn't like having the neutral lock. I think I'll probably remove that pin in the spring.
Carl View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2005 at 9:50pm
As much as it's a pain, it's a safety feature and I'd hate for someone to get hurt because it didn't work.

The downside to having the boat accidentally knocked into gear could be pretty severe for both people and property.

I'll suffer through having it work properly.
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2005 at 12:42am
Agreed Carl...
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2005 at 2:58pm
First thing i did after getting home from buying my boat was to remove the neutral lock. My group is pretty experienced and we rarely have kids in the boat.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2005 at 4:13pm
Neutral lock-thanks to a lawyer somewhere.
Tim D
Carl View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2005 at 6:04pm
Thanks for all the opinions on whether I should fix the neutral lock.

Can anyone answer my original question?
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2005 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Tim D Tim D wrote:

Neutral lock-thanks to a lawyer somewhere.

If that's the case (no pun intended), it's probably more thanks to a person who got run over by a boat that the lawyer was representing. Or their survivors...
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2005 at 6:56pm
Carl, maybe someone like Darrel could send you the parts they removed when they got their new boat home. Or... call SkiDIM and see if they can send you the parts.

I completely understand wanting to keep your boat safe. I know a family that has been dealing with a terrible boating accident where a child was hit with a spinning prop - and it should be a lesson to us all. It's no joke.

BOAT SAFE!
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
Carl View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2005 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by jameski jameski wrote:

Carl, maybe someone like Darrel could send you the parts they removed when they got their new boat home. Or... call SkiDIM and see if they can send you the parts.

I should have seen that opportunity.

Does anyone who has disabled this feature on their SN want to sell those parts? I need the cam/key and spring. Post here if you're interested.

I just emailed skidim but no reply yet.

I agree with Jameski. It only takes a second to have a bad accident, no matter how experienced you are on the water.

I go boating to have fun. A bad accident like Jameski described would likely ruin the boating experience forever. Especially if I caused the accident.

I can live with a little inconvenience to help prevent that.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2005 at 7:49pm
Carl:

I think I have Darrel's lock lever in my parts bin. I will try to remember to look and if I find the extra part, you can have it.

I could be wrong as I only vaguely remember seeing the extra piece when I reassembled my throttle lever.
Carl View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2005 at 8:19pm
Thanks David. I appreciate the effort.

You can email me at "cabcadd at excite.com".

Remove the spaces and replace "at" with "@".
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2005 at 12:14pm
Yep, I found Darrel's lock lever, spring and rod in my parts bin. You can have the parts IF Darrel does not want them back. Afterall, they really do belong to Darrel. Darrel?
Carl View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2005 at 12:36pm
I'm still here and interested if the parts are available. Darrel?

Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2005 at 3:46pm
David, Thanks for saving me the time. I probably would have spent an hour looking thru the spare parts boxes. My vote is to give it to Carl.
Carl View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2005 at 2:03pm
David,

I'd be happy to send you a self addressed, postage paid envelope for those parts if that works for you.

Email me at "cabcadd at excite.com" (remove spaces and change at to @).

Thanks to both of you for your efforts.

Carl
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2005 at 1:22pm
Carl:

I emailed my address to you...the parts are now yours.

Darrel:

Have you had a chance to send the glove box keys to me?
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2005 at 3:34pm
David, Sorry, I'm lazy. Hav'nt pulled back the layers of tarps to check to see if keys fit my boat or if they are for yours. I will get to it b4 the super bowl and send them to you if not for my boat.
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2005 at 7:55pm
David F - Thanks for sending the parts.
Darrel - Thanks for providing them.

Got it all together and it works great.

Thanks again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic